Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Remove addresses from spam / junk mail list

I have for some time been teaching the spam filter in OSX Mail by hitting the "thumb down"-button on messages that are spam.

Unfortunately I have a few times hit the button by accident on people who are NOT sending spam. So I have to remove them from the spam list. But I cannot find a place where the spam list can be edited.

I have read on this forum that the spam filter does not store addresses, but work in another way. That sounds strange, because I know positive that friends (even on my address list ) sending me emails that are not spam. In it does not appear on my computer.

I have a second computer on which I have never been teaching the spam filter. Here the mails get in. But a lot of spam too, of course. It is therefor tempting to conclude that there is actually addresses that are stored in the filter.

Thanks for any help here.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), 8 GB RAM

Posted on Mar 16, 2015 10:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 4, 2017 9:50 AM

I had a similar problem, using the Apple Mail client with a Gmail account. Because I accidentally hit the junk button on a colleague's email, everything started going to the Junk folder. I tried a reset on the Junk rules, but that had no effect.

Try going into your Gmail from a browser, and navigating to the Spam folder. Find the message that is "not spam" and mark it as such.

This seems to have fixed the problem behaviour in the Apple Mail client. The message I had marked as "not spam" in Gmail now disappeared from the Junk folder, and appeared in the Inbox.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 4, 2017 9:50 AM in response to burellix1

I had a similar problem, using the Apple Mail client with a Gmail account. Because I accidentally hit the junk button on a colleague's email, everything started going to the Junk folder. I tried a reset on the Junk rules, but that had no effect.

Try going into your Gmail from a browser, and navigating to the Spam folder. Find the message that is "not spam" and mark it as such.

This seems to have fixed the problem behaviour in the Apple Mail client. The message I had marked as "not spam" in Gmail now disappeared from the Junk folder, and appeared in the Inbox.

Mar 17, 2015 3:31 PM in response to GlobalHouse

I'm not clear on what you mean by "spam" mail. Apple mail is set up to flag certain mail as "Junk" and you can decide if it is or isn't, you can also set it up to put anything flagged as "Junk" into the Junk folder or to keep it in your Inbox, or you can configure custom settings. But none of them contain the word "spam" so again, just not sure what you are referring to?

Cheers,

GB

Oct 17, 2016 4:05 AM in response to GlobalHouse

Hello I have a similar technical problem: suddenly a few days ago, my mail has started to send to the Junk folder emails from my husband (I leave you imagine how happy he was when I stopped replying to his emails). I keep clicking on 'Not Junk' on all his messages but this will not remove it from the Junk rule being applied to him. Also I have checked the Junk rules and he is in my contacts list therefore he should not be filtered as Junk. Finally even when I press 'not Junk', the email is not automatically sent to the inbox, I have to move it manually. Can anyone help?? thank you!

Remove addresses from spam / junk mail list

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.