Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recover missing files

Hello all, I have a question that has me stumped. I upgraded (automatically after the download, not by me starting it) to Yosemite from Mavericks. I no longer have access to the files (all kinds) on my computer, they are still there (the data is still there because my memory has not increased. I have a dated backup (1 month old) on crash plan, but I am hoping not to lose anything. I did a search here first and did not find a fix for this. Does anyone have a suggestions?

Thank you for any suggestions.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), null

Posted on Mar 16, 2015 1:21 PM

25 replies

Mar 16, 2015 1:43 PM in response to Kappy

Valid point.

After the upgrade to Yosemite, I noticed that files and links on my desktop were gone. So I went to look for other excel files and the like. I also noticed that my itunes folder is empty. The puzzle is, I am sitting on almost 1TB for data that is not accessible, more than likely those are my files and I am not sure how to "recover" them?

I have done a spotlight search for different file types and I have also changed my view, but those "fixes" have yet to work. I have repaired permissions and verified the HD and I don't have another account other than guest (which I looked at as well), there is nothing that I can see.

Mar 16, 2015 1:54 PM in response to gingele

Are you sure you are not referring to the disk icons that usually appear on the right side of your Desktop? If so, then they aren't the Desktop. The Desktop is the picture displayed on the screen's background. If you click on that and select Preferences from the Finder menu in the screen's menubar, then click on the four top boxes to check them, your disk icons will appear.

Mar 16, 2015 3:56 PM in response to gingele

If all your files are missing

You may have logged in as a different user, such as Guest. Open the Users & Groups pane in System Preferences. Your name should be at the top of the user list, under Current User. See also this support article.

If files are missing from one folder

Change the Finder view mode; for example, from icon view to list view, or vice versa.

If files are present, but seem outdated

You may have started up from a different volume (disk.) Open the Startup Disk preference pane and check the selection.

Mar 16, 2015 4:02 PM in response to Kappy

I guess let me start over.

I am unable to find any of my data files whether on the desktop or anywhere else on my computer, after my Yosemite update. I am have an idea that they might be still on the HD, because I still have alot of data being used 934GB of 1TB. So i am unsure how to access this data and see what is there.

I went to look for other excel files and the like. I also noticed that my itunes folder is empty.

I have done a spotlight search for different file types and I have also changed my view, but those "fixes" have yet to work. I have repaired permissions and verified the HD and I don't have another account other than guest (which I looked at as well), there is nothing that I can see.

I have done what you suggested to show the icons on my desktop, but the other files and folders that were there are now gone.

The two screen shots are of the HD and what it is showing and the other is from MacKeeper and what is show the make up of my HD

User uploaded file User uploaded file

Is this clearer on my issue, sorry if I am not being very clear.

Mar 16, 2015 4:08 PM in response to gingele

A

"MacKeeper" is a scam with only one useful feature: it deletes itself.

First, back up all data.

Note: These instructions apply to the version of the product that I downloaded and tested in early 2012. I can't be sure that they apply to other versions.

If you have incompletely removed MacKeeper—for example, by dragging the application to the Trash and immediately emptying—then you'll have to reinstall it and start over.

IMPORTANT: "MacKeeper" has what the developer calls an “encryption” feature. In my tests, I didn't try to verify what this feature really does. If you used it to “encrypt” any of your files, “decrypt” them before you uninstall, or (preferably) restore the files from backups made before they were “encrypted.” As the developer is not trustworthy, you should assume that the "decrypted" files are corrupt unless proven otherwise.

In the Finder, select

Go Applications

from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-A. The "MacKeeper" application is in the folder that opens. Quit it if it's running, then drag it to the Trash. You'll be prompted for your login password. Click the Uninstall MacKeeper button in the dialog that appears. All the other functional components of the software will be deleted. Restart the computer and empty the Trash.

Quit MacKeeper before dragging it to the Trash.

Let MacKeeper delete its other components before you empty the Trash.

Don't try to drag MacKeeper from the Dock to the Trash. You must open the Applications folder as above.

Don't try to remove MacKeeper while running in safe mode.

B

Back up all data before proceeding.

This procedure will unlock all your user files (not system files) and reset their ownership, permissions, and access controls to the default. If you've intentionally set special values for those attributes on any of your files, they will be reverted. In that case, either stop here, or be prepared to recreate the settings if necessary. Do so only after verifying that those settings didn't cause the problem. If none of this is meaningful to you, you don't need to worry about it, but you do need to follow the instructions below.

Step 1

If you have more than one user, and the one in question is not an administrator, then go to Step 2.

Triple-click anywhere in the following line on this page to select it:

sudo find ~ $TMPDIR.. -exec chflags -h nouchg,nouappnd,noschg,nosappnd {} + -exec chown -h $UID {} + -exec chmod +rw {} + -exec chmod -h -N {} + -type d -exec chmod -h +x {} + 2>&-

Copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C.

Launch the built-in Terminal application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad and start typing the name.

Paste into the Terminal window by pressing command-V. I've tested these instructions only with the Safari web browser. If you use another browser, you may have to press the return key after pasting.

You'll be prompted for your login password, which won't be displayed when you type it. Type carefully and then press return. You may get a one-time warning to be careful. If you don’t have a login password, you’ll need to set one before you can run the command. If you see a message that your username "is not in the sudoers file," then you're not logged in as an administrator.

The command may take several minutes to run, depending on how many files you have. Wait for a new line ending in a dollar sign ($) to appear, then quit Terminal.

Step 2 (optional)

Take this step only if you have trouble with Step 1, if you prefer not to take it, or if it doesn't solve the problem.

Start up in Recovery mode. When the OS X Utilities screen appears, select

Utilities Terminal

from the menu bar. A Terminal window will open. In that window, type this:

resetp

Press the tab key. The partial command you typed will automatically be completed to this:

resetpassword

Press return. A Reset Password window will open. You’re not going to reset a password.

Select your startup volume ("Macintosh HD," unless you gave it a different name) if not already selected.

Select your username from the menu labeled Select the user account if not already selected.

Under Reset Home Directory Permissions and ACLs, click the Reset button.

Select

Restart

from the menu bar.

Mar 16, 2015 6:12 PM in response to gingele

Your screenshot of "MacKeeper" shows a padlock superimposed on the folder icons. I don't know what that means, beyond the obvious fact that it screwed up your home folder somehow. It may have encrypted the files, deleted them, or moved them to some unknown location. I don't know what you can do about that except to restore from a backup. Fortunately you seem to have one.

Recover missing files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.