Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone audio message disappeared

My girlfriend today sent me multiple audio messages via iMessage.

A few minutes after I recieved them, they vanished as if she never sent them. I did not have a chance to save them.

The audio files sent may/could of been used for a court case, and are of great importance.

Why did they disappear?

How do I get them back?

Thanks,

- Todd Martin

Posted on Mar 16, 2015 5:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 13, 2017 7:54 AM

This is al well and good in principal. However, if you've never used this feature before and you get a birthday audio text and you want to keep it , but you don't know you need to save it, it's a little upsetting to have lost the digital message. In the future it might be nice for a little informative message to pop up asking you if you want to save it.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 13, 2017 7:54 AM in response to jason269

This is al well and good in principal. However, if you've never used this feature before and you get a birthday audio text and you want to keep it , but you don't know you need to save it, it's a little upsetting to have lost the digital message. In the future it might be nice for a little informative message to pop up asking you if you want to save it.

Mar 19, 2015 8:42 AM in response to Clamb147

Hello, Todd.

Thank you for visiting Apple Support Communities.

I understand that you need access to some audio files that were sent through iMessage. Audio messages sent through iMessage are set to automatically expire after two minutes unless you actively choose to save them. If you did not save them by tapping “Keep,” you will not be able to retrieve them at this point, but in the future, you can save important audio messages by tapping Keep or adjust your settings to always save the audio and video messages:

Keep an audio or video message

An audio or video message recorded and sent from Messages will expire two minutes after you play it. Before an audio or video message expires, you can tap Keep, under the message, to manually save it in Messages and to your attachments. To view your saved attachments, tap Details while viewing the conversation.

User uploaded file

You can adjust your Messages settings so that your device will automatically save all audio and video messages. Go to Settings > Messages and change the setting for audio or video messages.

You can't keep audio and video messages longer than you keep your message history. Tap Settings > Messages > Keep Messages and increase this setting if you want to keep audio and video messages longer.

Send audio, photo, and video messages on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iOS 8

Cheers,

Jason H.

Apr 29, 2016 12:28 AM in response to jason269

Sometimes not only audio but also text messages disappear randomly from my phone or mac. And with photos and videos it's the same. Sometimes they arrive, sometimes they don't, sometimes they arrive and then disappear.

I tried logging off imessage from my devices and logging in again to try and solve these issue, but it never worked.

It's such a simple app that i don't see why Apple is not making it work properly.

iPhone audio message disappeared

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.