Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

QT current time and duration display???

I have asked this before, but got no real answers. Why in 7.0.4 and newer, does the movie info dialog box display timecode so weird? the decimal number that goes to 99 is not timecode. Hours, minutes, seconds, frames is what it should be and was from the first QT release up to 6.x! Now it gives you displays like 00:00:01.83??? There is no way to be exact as to where your playhead is.

Please no responses about figuring out where you are with some calculation method, I just would like to have someone acknowledge the difference and if they have information on when timecode will be displayed correctly again. Are there techs from Apple out there?

QUAD 2.5ghz, Mac OS X (10.4.7), 4 Gig RAM

Posted on Oct 12, 2006 10:01 AM

5 replies

Oct 12, 2006 10:48 AM in response to vanhorn4

I just would like to have someone acknowledge the difference and if they have information on when timecode will be displayed correctly again.

Ok, I'll acknowledge the difference -- Apple is using decimal fractions to identify specific frames within second intervals rather than actual numbered frame references within the second as is user selectable in most "pro" level editors. It would be just a guess, but it seems likely that QT programmers simply decided it was easier to provide a fixed conversion to decimal fractioons based on "tick division" rather than calculating a reference based on the targeted/actual frame rate used to encode each filewhich may themselves be fractional (e.g., 23.98 fps or 29.97 fps).

Please no responses about figuring out where you are with some calculation method

You could also try "frame counting" or simply use an alternative media player like SimpleMovieX which seems to read my H.264/AAC files by frame count (with count indicator turning orange on the second rollover - nice touch) but reads VOB GOPs using a decimal annotation.

Are there techs from Apple out there?

Sorry, this is a "peer-to-peer" forum -- i.e., users helping users. If you wish to express your frustration and/or ire, use the QT Feedback page to request this feature be restored. Better yet, ask they include a user preference which allows the user to decide which format should be displayed.

User uploaded file

Oct 12, 2006 5:06 PM in response to vanhorn4

I have a problem related to this: I'm trying to add HREFTracks to QT movies so that they change slides in a browser as the movie plays. Sometimes a movie's timecode displays as 00:00:00.00, where the final 00 is decimal ... and sometimes it displays as 00:00:00.0/15, say, where the movie is 15 frames per second.

Why the mixing of formats here? I can calculate, of course, but I think this is related to other problems I'm having with QT HREFTracks ... any thoughts?

Oct 13, 2006 11:46 AM in response to Chris Stewart2

Every track in a QT movie can have its own timebase. So when you are creating your HREF track, you can build it with whatever timebase you want. If the master track is counting in thousandths, then just use thousandths for your HREF track as well. Just make sure that when you create the track, the {timescale:} attribute is set correctly: {timescale:30} for 30 FPS, {timescale:1000} for 1000 FPS.

In fact, if you create a text track using a timescale of 30, import that into a movie, then export it from the movie using QT Pro, you may discover that QT actually converts the timescale for you...it will come out with a timescale of 1000, with the frames recalculated accordingly!

--Dave Althoff, Jr.

QT current time and duration display???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.