Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Expanding mac mini 2012 ram to 32gb

Hello! it possible to make firmware update fo mac mini 2012 for make upgrade memory to 32 gb possible?

There is letter from 16gb memory factory:

Thanks for your mail to IM and interested our 16GB So-DIMM, the Mac-mini cannot take our 16GB module due to the Intel BIOS limitation, called MRC (Memory Reference Code) It's able to identify module which assembled by 1,2 and 4 Gbit chips only. Our 16GB SoDIMM are made by 8Gbit chips and the MRC does not yet contain the right software code, it is software issue but Intel is not yet fix, If Intel change the software-code or allow the customers to change it themselves, then it would be working on your Macmini by a simple BIOS update, you may consult with Apple technical support team to ask for details.

In generally, our 16GB module is workable for the Intel 5th generation CPU (i3/i5/i7-5xxx) series, Intel Atom (Avaton) and AMD CPU now.

Thanks & Best regards,

Felix Kwok

Key Account Manager (APAC)

I'M Intelligent Memory Limited

Best regards,
Vadim

Posted on Mar 16, 2015 3:01 PM

1 reply

Expanding mac mini 2012 ram to 32gb

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.