Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting MacBook Pro to HDTV

I connected my MacBook Pro to my plasma TV via HDMI, and I was very surprised by the results and not in a good way. The resolution seemed very poor (I know it won't look like the Retina display, but this looked sub-CRT quality), and no matter what settings I used on the MacBook or the TV the very top and bottom of the screen were cut off -- I could see just a bit of the top of the dock, and could not see the menu bar at all). Let's not even talk about the washed out color.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong... it's a quality HDMI cable, fantastic TV (Panasonic Vierra 50" Plasma), I set the resolution on the MacBook to 1080 and the TV set to no zooming / cropping (although I did cycle through all of the settings to make sure).

Any ideas?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), iTunes 11.2.2 (3)

Posted on Mar 16, 2015 4:02 PM

3 replies

Mar 19, 2015 7:46 AM in response to Brian Pylant

Hi Brian Pylant,

The resources below will explain your options for connecting to a TV. You may also need to refer to the TV manufacturer for additional settings for video and audio.

Connecting MacBook Pro to HDTV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.