Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro (Mid 2012 15 inch) crashes randomly

Hello Apple Support Community! This is my first writeup here so be patient with me.

In August 2012 I purchased my 15 inch mid 2012 MacBook Pro with 4GB of RAM and a 500GB Hard Drive. For the first 2 years, everything was fine.

Fast-forward to July 2014. I started school at a local university and brought my laptop with me nearly every day. (It got moved around a lot) Also, I had some money saved up and decided to purchase some more RAM for my computer. I purchased 2x4GB of PNY RAM and installed them. A few days later, a curious problem began to show up. Every night I shut down my Mac, but now every few shutdowns it would give me the little spinning wheel and would never shut down. I figured it was not a serious problem as it did not happen that often.

My problems didn't end there, however. During a software update to 10.9.5, the computer froze while shutting down with the same symptoms as above. I had to hold the power button to shut it down, and when it turned back on after the update, my bluetooth was gone. After an SMC reset, my bluetooth was back.

At this point, I was getting a bit worried about my Apple software and decided to Boot Camp Windows 7 onto my hard drive. And then Yosemite came out, so I installed it. Mistake.

Almost daily, I was seeing kernel panics galore. It did not really seem to matter what I was doing, all it had to be was on and it would fail. Windows 7 exhibited no problems when running, so I assumed it was a software issue. About mid-november, I wiped the mac partition of my hard drive and clean installed Yosemite. For about a week, I thought my problem was cured. Then the crashes returned again. I switched back to my factory installed memory thinking that it may have been a bad ram stick. Once again, okay for about a week then crashed again. I put the 8GB back in again because I would rather have a fast and crashy computer than a slow and crashy one.

Also, weird graphical glitches began to happen. On certain occasions, when starting up things like Java or even doing something as simple as going to Yahoo!, the discrete NVIDIA graphics card would activate. Sometimes, it would quickly flash the screen completely white or blue then go back to normal, and occasionally the entire screen would freeze except for the mouse, which would only go away by holding down the power button and resetting. Doing a NVRAM and SMC reset, once again, would work for about a week before it would crash again. Also, when plugging in my hard drive for backups, it would refused to eject the disk. I had to hold down the power button to get it to eject (For most backups, I had to resort to booting in Safe Mode, as Safe Mode would actually eject the disk when I told it to.) These panics are not consistent, mind you. They have happened during start up, once during shutdown, but mainly during low load situations after the computer has been on for a while. Oddly, it is most stable when running at high ram and the fans are blazing during gaming. It has also never crashed when a virtual machine (Virtualbox) is running either.

A couple of weeks ago, it completely melted down. The system crashed, then restarted, then crashed, then restarted, then crashed, then (you get the picture). Completely, panicking at this point I tried to boot into my windows partition. It got to the Welcome screen, but then went black and the hard drive started making a really high screeching noise, at which point I shut off the computer and scheduled an appointment with the Genius Bar the following day.

At the Genius Bar, I told the Genius what was wrong, and after playing around with it, reinstalling the ram, and getting some error messages, he gave me the following diagnosis: A bad partition of the hard drive between Windows and OS X and improperly mounted RAM. (Oddly enough, when we remounted it, the directions he gave were different then those on apple.com). I hooked my Time Machine back into my Macbook, and for a while it looked like the fix worked. No more kernel panics or stalled shutdowns.

A couple of days ago, the stalled shutdowns returned, and today it has crashed twice on me (once in Safe Mode). I'm at a loss. I've checked so many different things from websites that it is making my head spin. I use my computer for school every day and need it to be reliable. Considering that I have only gotten about two and a half years out of a $1700 computer, that is absolutely pathetic. I really would like this computer fixed, but I do not have money just to throw around. Does anyone out there have any ideas? Let me know if you need more details.

Thanks in advance!

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 16, 2015 8:07 PM

4 replies

Mar 16, 2015 8:57 PM in response to not_very_unique_username

Make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store, or go to another authorized service provider. You may have to leave the machine there for several days.

Back up all data on the internal drive(s) before you hand over your computer to anyone. There are ways to back up a computer that isn't fully functional—ask if you need guidance.

If privacy is a concern, erase the data partition(s) with the option to write zeros* (do this only if you have at least two complete, independent backups, and you know how to restore to an empty drive from any of them.) Don’t erase the recovery partition, if present.

Keeping your confidential data secure during hardware repair

Apple also recommends that you deauthorize a device in the iTunes Store before having it serviced.

*An SSD doesn't need to be zeroed.

Mar 21, 2015 8:33 AM in response to Linc Davis

Sorry for not writing back, been really busy lately.

Here's what has happened since Monday. I took my computer into the Genius Bar on Tuesday. They ran a lot of hardware test and tested both the original RAM and my purchased upgrade RAM and found no problems. According to them, they thought that the kernel panics were from two programs: Opera (internet browser) and Virtualbox. I personally did not think that that was it, considering that Opera is only recently installed and Virtualbox has been installed long before the crashes began, but I decided to take their word for it considering that the only other option is to pay $300 to have it sent off for repairs. (Considering that this is a $1700 laptop that is only 2.5 years old, I would rather sell it and just get a Windows Laptop than pay for repairs for a $1700 laptop.)

The only programs I have installed so far that do not come with OS X Yosemite are Eclipse Luna, Java JRE and JDK 8 update 40, OpenOffice, GitHub, and Xcode from the App store. Wednesday and Thursday I experienced no Crashes, yet yesterday it crashed twice. The first time Safari was trying to access my Gmail, and the second time I was just surfing the web. The first time Safari kept giving me the error "A problem occurred with this web page, so it was reloaded" about 5 times, and then finally gave me a message like "A problem occurred too many times" and the option to try to reload the page again. I closed the window and then reopened Safari, which repeated this entire process over, and kept trying to get into my Gmail until my display finally froze up. 5 minutes later, it shut down and didn't turn itself back on. I booted it up again, only to have it, during the boot sequence, crash again and not turn itself back on. I turned it on, again, and it finally loaded. Later that afternoon, while surfing the web (for a new laptop, I might add), Safari gave me "A problem occurred with this web page, so it was reloaded", again, yet now it refused to try and reload itself and immediately kernel panicked.

I am really disappointed in this computer. I had anticipated it to last me through the rest of college, but now it looks like I will be getting rid of it early, unless I am overlooking something extremely minor. Any thoughts?

Macbook Pro (Mid 2012 15 inch) crashes randomly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.