Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems with apps and safari since installing Yosemite

I could have shot myself after installing Maverick when it cam out but after a zillion updates and finally a 100 mile drive to the nearest Apple store and the genius bar it seemed to be working fine. I dreaded installing Yosemite but as I have and iPad mini, and Yosemite is billed to work more harmoniously with that, I did the download. Since then and even following the recent 'update', opening Safari takes forever, I get the rainbow wheel of doom. There is frequently a delay between my typing (about 35 words per minute) and actually seeing the curser and letters on screen, and often webpages just dump. Other times, apps or webpages will just spontaneously pop open. Sometimes Safari can't connect to pages. Not my wifi as if I just choose another page it is fine. I am actually back to using Chrome because I don't seem to have the same problems as with Safari..... go figure. 5 years ago after years of pc's and the frustration of having hardware and software that were specifically made for each other, I thru in the towel and paid the bucks for a MacPro laptop and I loved my first three years. Now, my machine ***** as does Safari!! an Apple app! I feel like I need to debug, but I don't have any thing like MacKeeper on it now (the Genius bar guy took MacKeeper off when I had that visit to solve the Maverick problems). I'm tempted to reinstall it but I read so many posts saying that folks had problems with a virus that they attributed to MacKeeper. So, anyone else having these same problems and can anyone recommend a good cleanup and maintenance software so I can clean this up?

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2010), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 16, 2015 9:39 PM

2 replies

Mar 17, 2015 6:23 AM in response to lovemycats

There is no software in the world that will solve these problems for you. Any software promising an ability to do so is trying to take advantage of your lack of knowledge to get you to buy something that you don't need.

The problems you're having are undoubtedly due to some kind of junk software that is installed. First, it sounds like you may have some kind of adware installed. See my Adware Removal Guide for help finding and removing it.

(Fair disclosure: I may receive compensation from links to my sites, TheSafeMac.com and AdwareMedic.com.)

If that doesn't solve all the problems, download a copy of EtreCheck:

http://etresoft.com/etrecheck

Run it and post a copy of the report it generates here.

Mar 17, 2015 7:46 AM in response to lovemycats

Do not install MacKeeper.

Back up your Mac if you have not already done so. To learn how to use Time Machine read Mac Basics: Time Machine backs up your Mac - Apple Support.

Determine if the same problems also occur in "Safe Mode":

• Safe Mode or "Safe Boot" is a troubleshooting mode that bypasses all third party system extensions and loads only required system components. Read about it: Starting up in Safe Mode
  • You must disable FileVault before you can start your Mac in Safe Mode.
  • Starting your Mac in Safe Mode will take longer than usual, graphics will not render smoothly, audio is disabled on some Macs, and some programs (iTunes for example) may not work at all.
  • Merely starting your Mac in Safe Mode is not intended to resolve the problem, it's to observe its performance without certain additional components.
  • To end Safe Mode restart your Mac normally. Shutdown will take longer as well.

Problems with apps and safari since installing Yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.