Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FaceTime via cellular data

Hello,

I struggled a month ago to set up FaceTime and iMessage, error after error...

Finally I completed the setup and it worked fine... for a day or two.

Still the FaceTime and iMessage is working but calling via cellular data was checked and now it is again off and I can't switch it on on my MacBook Pro.

I had this problem before and it's really annoying.

My MacBook Pro says to be logged in on both devices on the same iCloud and FaceTime but I am.

What do I have to do?

Kind regards, Nils Hellemans

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), 3,6 GHz - i7, 500GB SSD, 8GB, 15'

Posted on Mar 17, 2015 2:19 AM

2 replies

Mar 19, 2015 10:46 AM in response to Nils Hellemans

Good Morning Nils Hellemans,

I just want to clarify, are the FaceTime and Messages apps working when using Wi-Fi from both your iPhone and your MacBook Pro? If you are having issues with FaceTime using celluar data, try the troubleshooting steps in the resource below:

If you can't make or receive FaceTime calls - Apple Support
https://support.apple.com/en-is/HT204168

1. If you're trying to use FaceTime over cellular, make sure Use Cellular Data is on for FaceTime. Go to Settings > Cellular > Use Celluar Data For, and tap the slider for FaceTime to turn it on. Also, find out if your carrier supports FaceTime over cellular.
  2. Go to Settings > FaceTime and make sure FaceTime is turned on.
    • If you see "Waiting for Activation," turn FaceTime off and then on again. Learn what to do if you can't activate FaceTime.
    • If you don't see the FaceTime setting, make sure that Camera and FaceTime aren't off in Settings > General > Restrictions.
    • Make sure that you have the correct phone number or email address listed.
  3. Go to Settings > General > Date & Time and turn on Set Automatically.
  4. Restart your device.
  5. Update your device to the latest version of iOS.

You might have issues using FaceTime for one of these reasons:

• FaceTime Audio or Video calling might not be available for all countries, regions, or carriers.
  • FaceTime isn't available or might not appear on devices purchased in Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, and Pakistan.
  • Call forwarding isn't supported by FaceTime.
  • Phone calls end when switching to or answering a FaceTime call.
  • You can't switch from a FaceTime call to a voice call, or from a FaceTime Video call to a FaceTime Audio call.

Regards,

- Judy

Mar 19, 2015 2:22 PM in response to judysings

Hello,

all of this works, but I think I translated something wrong (English is not my native language),

I looked it up and the thing I ment was on MacBook Pro: mobile / cellular calls via iPhone.

The strange thing is; I checked this problem this morning and it was unchecked on my MacBook and I couldn't check without receiving the alert: to be logged in on both devices on the same iCloud and FaceTime, which I'm always...

and now in the evening it is checked and everything works. And I'm in the same position (Mac and iPhone online).

This connection is I think not steady.

And I never have problems with text messages (SMS), that are also ended to my MacBook.

FaceTime via cellular data

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.