Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture: How can I batch change one part of a file name

I have a file name format for my motor sport pictures

EventNameYear_CarNumber_ImageNumber

I have just named 600+ images but after publishing the images, I spotted I put the event year as 2014 instead of 2015.

How can I batch change the year but leave everything else the same? I've been through the batch change options but cannot work it out

I am on Aperture 3.6, MacBook Pro on Yosemite 10.10.2

Thanks

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 17, 2015 12:06 AM

4 replies

Mar 18, 2015 7:09 AM in response to SidewaysSyd

As was noted modifying a part of a name is not possible in Aperture but it is not clear jut what it is you are trying to fix.

As you wrote that the problem was noticed after publishing the images this seems to indicate that the files you want to rename are already out of Aperture and that would require one solution.

If not how did you rename the images originally? What exact command did you use? The data you used to rename them the first time (CarNumber and imageNumber) should still be available to you so you should be abel to just run the rename command with the correct year.

Mar 23, 2015 4:04 PM in response to GeoCo

By publishing, I meant I have exported versions from Aperture and sent them to our website for sale.

I named them originally by selecting all images of car 1, then going to METADATA/BATCH CHANGE/CUSTOM NAME WITH INDEX (NO SPACES) then inserting the template 'EventNameYear_CarNumber_' and repeating this for each set of images for car 2/3/etc etc. with the image number/INDEX added automatically at the end of the template.

I don't want to go through all of that again, for each car. I thought Aperture would be sophisticated enough to be able to do it in one operation but apparently it is not.

Mar 23, 2015 7:13 PM in response to SidewaysSyd

So you renamed the versions in Aperture, the rename was not just done on the export?

The names could be changed either in Aperture or on the exported files but as was noted it would require a script to do it. Doing the rename on the exported files would be the easiest, Applescript or possibly even Automator or any number of 3rd party apps could handle this rather easily. Name Manglercomes to mind as possibly being able to handle this.

Aperture: How can I batch change one part of a file name

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.