Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my macbook air cannot see a printer on my network

My Macbook cannot add a printer which is on my network?

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 17, 2015 5:59 AM

4 replies

Mar 18, 2015 4:58 AM in response to John Galt

Thanks for your reply.

HP Officejet J4680

I have downloaded and installed the HP software and an installer and have gone through the install process. In System Preferences the printer was not listed when I tried to add printer. In the dialogue box I manually input the location of the printer. the printer now shows up in the Printers box as default and in use. When I try to print a document the message I received is "printing the printer is in use.

When I open the Print Queue the Location is in the name box and the location is blank should I change this?

Mar 18, 2015 7:38 AM in response to JohnS47

If the print dialog indicates the printer is "in use", there is a document stuck in the print queue that isn't going anywhere. That will prevent progress.

Sometimes, that will occur if the printer receives its IP address via DHCP. For that reason, I advocate assigning the printer a static IP address. That way, it will always reside at the same network location.

The easiest way to fix the problem is to delete the existing printer from System Preferences > Printers & Scanners, and add it again. Better yet is to "reset the printing system" as described here: Mac OS X: How to reset the printing system, which will also delete all pending print jobs. It may also be a good idea to reset the printer itself. Powering it off and on again will do that.

After you do that you will need to add the printer again according to the instructions here:

OS X Yosemite: Add or remove a printer

my macbook air cannot see a printer on my network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.