Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Second display black this morning

I received a NEC PA272W yesterday and plugged it along my 30 in Apple display. Everything absolutely perfect for the whole day.

This morning the Apple display is desperately black after wake-up. Restarted with only the Apple display: TWO rather flat apples on the screen for a few seconds, then black. Nothing doing.

Tried to detect displays, no result.

Tried all six thunderbolt ports, no result.

The monitor does not appear in System Preferences. It doesn't show either in "About this Mac".

There appears to be some brief sort of video connection with this monitor at startup, but it's as good as dead right now.

What am I doing wrong?

Please help if you can, with my eternal thanks.

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10), New Mac Pro

Posted on Mar 17, 2015 4:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 17, 2015 4:33 AM

Make sure the mini displayport plugs are fully inserted into the Mac's Thunderbolt ports.

Reset the SMC and NVRAM

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

About NVRAM and PRAM

6 replies

Mar 17, 2015 4:45 AM in response to lllaass

Thanks for the answer, lllaass.

I made real sure about inserting the mini displayport, it's all right, along the NEC's plug, working fine, and two RAID systems, all of them working fine (the RAIDs daisy-chained).

Will try to reset both SMC and NVRAM and will be back with news about it.

And… thanks for the links.

Mar 17, 2015 5:07 AM in response to lllaass

Resetting the NVRAM did its magic, lllaass. I'm deeply indebted to you for this fast answer. I should have thought about it myself, but then, I didn't.

I will keep this thing under observation for a couple of weeks. I want to know if this problem will reappear after each deep sleep, and if yes, what can be done. I could of course shut down the computer, but deep sleep does save some time, if not that much on a new Mac Pro.

I am trying to check "This solved my question" under your answer, but for one reason or another, it doesn't work at this time. I will do it the minute it allows me the website allows me to do so.

Thanks again,

Roger

Mar 23, 2015 11:55 PM in response to RTP

UPDATE:

The problem keeps reappearing from time to time: this morning for example, I wake up the Mac Pro and only he NEC display fires up. The 30 in Cinema Display is desperately black. It remains black even after resetting the NVRAM.

If I unplug the NEC display, the Apple Display lights up correctly, which shows that all connections and ports are OK. If I plug in the NEC display while the computer is running with the Apple Display, I then get my two monitors.

I don't like that very much. In fact, I don't like that at all and I will be heading for the genius bar in a couple of days with the Mac Pro, and will ask the guys to recreate my environment, and see what happens and what they say.

BTW, the 30 in Apple Cinema Display is plugged through the Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter from Apple. I wonder if this adapter could have something to do with my problem.

Mar 25, 2015 5:30 AM in response to lllaass

I've read a lot about the fact that this adapter could be defective sometimes and needed to be replace3d. It has always worked well in my case but this proves nothing. I will try another one. On the other hand, the electronics inside the adapter may simply have difficulty in coping with this particular situation, who knows? Often, the Cinema Display will get to life first at startup, and then will go dark when the NEC lights up, and after a second or so both monitors will be running fine. This is really strange.

Second display black this morning

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.