Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Final Cut 10.1.4. Project missing after crash

Hey there!

I've been working on a new project for a couple of hours with an external USB hard drive. At some point the usb drive disconnected and FCP crashed. After restarting the software, the project within my event was gone, media still there.

Facts so far:

• I checked and repaired the USB drive
  • The project folder is still on the external drive (also, when I try to create a new project with the same name, FCP says there is already a project with that name, it just doesn't show up)
  • There are backups on my macintosh HD in the FCP Backups folder for that usb drive and that project, but I don't know what to do with them as replacing the "currentversion.fcpevent" file in the project folder didn't work

I'm clueless on how to get the project back to work and I really hope someone can help!
Thanks!

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014), OS X Mavericks (10.9.4), null

Posted on Mar 17, 2015 4:53 AM

9 replies

Mar 17, 2015 10:22 AM in response to NinaHB

NinaHB wrote:

the backup doesn't show the project either. this is driving me nuts... ahhh! I know the project is there. It shows up in the finder. Just not in my FC library.

Could you post screen shot of the project file you found in the Finder?

Also, wonder whether your work was done within a clip timeline rather than a project timeline. Worth checking your clips in the Browser to see.

Russ

Mar 18, 2015 4:11 AM in response to Russ H

Russ H wrote:

Could you post screen shot of the project file you found in the Finder?

This is a screenshot of inside the projects library file of the external drive, with "Image Hannover" being the missing project.

User uploaded file

Russ H wrote:

Also, wonder whether your work was done within a clip timeline rather than a project timeline. Worth checking your clips in the Browser to see.

Russ

Don't really know what you mean as I work in a German version of FCP and terms are different...

This would be a screenshot of the project folder and a sample project I worked on. The missing project should be in the same media library.

User uploaded file

Mar 18, 2015 5:21 AM in response to Russ H

The project timeline being shown in the screenshot is the one of "Hannover Rad"... the missing one as shown in the folder screenshot is "Image Hannover" which was inside the Hannover Rad Media library as well, as I was using the same footage for it... So now it is showing 2 project timelines (hannover rad and hannover rad grading) while it should show 3 project timelines. Does that make it clear? Sorry for the confusion, which is probably caused by the fact that the library has the same name like one other project. Thank you for trying to help!

I started over anyway, as the client is waiting for the video. But I'm super afraid this will happen again.

Mar 18, 2015 5:37 AM in response to NinaHB

Got it now. The main folder, Hannover Rad is actually your event. The three Rad… sub folders are your projects. In any case, we can forget my guess about a clip timeline.

In response to Tom's suggestion, you said the backup library you opened also didn't have the project? With all the work you've done. there should be many backup copies of this library (not sure what you've named it, Project…Passport shows in the screen shot) in the Final Cut Backups folder. Double-click them to open in Final Cut. (It's OK to have multiple backups loaded.) One of them should have your project timeline.

Russ

Jul 28, 2015 5:46 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Before saying anything else I'll simply state that I experienced what appears to be the same problem that NinaHB reported yesterday. As restore from backup is the only option provided, I thought it worth commenting on. The solution sorta works (and I do mean "sorta". It's better than recreating the project from nothing, t here are side effects. I was able to find a backup that included the project that had disappeared, but restoring it destroyed intermediate work within the restored event. That's to be expected if you are restoring from a backup, but restoring from backup really isn't an acceptable solution to the problem. There is, after all, an intact project that really only needs to be restored to the existing CurrentVersion.fcpevent. I don't know how complicated that is, but it doesn't seem like it would be complicated. It ought to be fairly simple to create a utility function that identifies projects that aren't linked from CurrentVersion.fcpevent and relink them.. On that basis this might be considered a request for a bug fix. Indeed, based on fixes that seemed to work for others before libaries were bundled in the 2013 restrructing of FCP (the solution to this problem used to be to delete CurrentVersion.fcpevent), its lost function.

To be clear, this problem occurs under special conditions that I don't have a handle on related to a Final Cut Pro crash. FCP has crashed several times in the last few days. One of those crashes delinked my project. It really is a bug.

Final Cut 10.1.4. Project missing after crash

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.