Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Email to contacts = grey send button?

CEO's iPhone. Has iCloud Contacts (about 1k) as well as Exchange contacts (about 1.4k). Phone is syncing with Exchange Server (Office 365). On a fresh boot of the phone...

He pulls up his Contact list, pulls up a contact then taps their email to send them an email message. Once he types in the subject line the SEND button lights up normally and he can send the email. However, if he does the same process again, even using the same contact, the SEND button remains grey so you can't send it and if you tap in the "To:" or "cc:" fields to add e-mail addresses it completely erases the email to: field.

You can make it work consistently by stopping the contact and mail apps. Then the process can repeat itself, working the first time but no time after. Additionally. composing a new mail and hand typing in the contact's email address also works fine.

I was on the phone for hours with Apple and they seemed stumped. They told me to factory reset the phone. We did that this morning, first time even without restoring from backup- we just put in the iCloud and Exchange credentials to download the contacts and the problem happened again on a fresh phone with just the two accounts setup.

iPhone 6. IOS 8.2

-Chan

Posted on Mar 17, 2015 7:38 AM

1 reply

Mar 31, 2015 10:34 AM in response to ChandlerUSMC

Apple support, level 2, were stumped. They told us to go to an Apple store, make an appointment to have the phone replaced. (Yes, I was skeptical it was a hardware issue as well). I got to the Apple store and after showing the Apple genius the issue he was able to recreate the exact same issue on his iPhone. He also had a grey send button after the 2nd attempt and e-mailing to a contact's e-mail address by tapping. I then took out my personal phone and recreated most of the environment. IOS 8.2 (I updated to it) with iCloud and Exchange setups. I was able to recreate the same issue with my personal phone.

Folks, there is something wrong with 8.2. Even the Apple store employees were able to experience the same issue on their own phones-- sending an e-mail from tapping an e-mail address in the contact list, works once- then a grey send button for every time after.

Email to contacts = grey send button?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.