Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iBooks opening up different files

Hello,

Lately when trying to open an ibooks file on my MacBook pro the iBooks software is opening up an entirely different iBook (it appears to be the same iBook each time) than what I had clicked. It does this for every iBook file that I have.

I have taken one of the files from my Mac and opened up the iBook just fine on another MacBook. So it would appear to be a software problem vs a file problem.

Also, I have the latest Yosemite OS system, and the OS system will not allow me to delete the iBooks software to reinstall as it is "required for the OS X system."

Any idea what the problem may be? Thanks a bunch in advance 🙂

Posted on Mar 17, 2015 8:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 17, 2015 10:51 AM

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

Back up all data.

Quit iBooks if it's running. Test after taking each of the following steps that you haven't already taken. Stop when the problem is resolved. Quit iBooks again before going on to the next step.

Step 1

Hold down the option key and select Go Library from the Finder menu bar. From the Library folder, move the following item, if it exists, to the Trash:

Cookies/com.apple.ibooks.cookies

Step 2

Delete this item in the same way:

Preferences/com.apple.ibooks.plist

Step 3

Delete this item:

Containers/com.apple.iBooksX

and move this one to the Desktop:

Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService

Restart the computer. To log out and log back in is not enough—you must restart.

When you launch iBooks, you'll be prompted to reset the library. Confirm. The library will be empty. Rebuild it by downloading your purchases from the iBooks Store and importing any other content you added. You may find the added content in the folder named "com.apple.BKAgentService" that you moved to the Desktop.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 17, 2015 10:51 AM in response to Drbaumer

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

Back up all data.

Quit iBooks if it's running. Test after taking each of the following steps that you haven't already taken. Stop when the problem is resolved. Quit iBooks again before going on to the next step.

Step 1

Hold down the option key and select Go Library from the Finder menu bar. From the Library folder, move the following item, if it exists, to the Trash:

Cookies/com.apple.ibooks.cookies

Step 2

Delete this item in the same way:

Preferences/com.apple.ibooks.plist

Step 3

Delete this item:

Containers/com.apple.iBooksX

and move this one to the Desktop:

Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService

Restart the computer. To log out and log back in is not enough—you must restart.

When you launch iBooks, you'll be prompted to reset the library. Confirm. The library will be empty. Rebuild it by downloading your purchases from the iBooks Store and importing any other content you added. You may find the added content in the folder named "com.apple.BKAgentService" that you moved to the Desktop.

iBooks opening up different files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.