Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Exporting footage for Youtube, Vimeo...getting stuttering

Hello Community.

I'm using Final Cut Studio, I export a video shot in 1080 60i, High Res, quicklime, then put into mpeg streamclip and create a mpeg4, but when I upload to Youtube, or Vimeo, there is a slight stutter effect happening, not sure why when streaming in 1080 hd, or HD on Vimeo. Can anyone suggest a solution to this issue, I've researched this for months and tried all kinds of exports but get the same issue. Thank you for your help!

Final Cut Pro 7, Mac OS X (10.7.5), Imac

Posted on Mar 17, 2015 8:59 AM

13 replies

Mar 17, 2015 10:35 AM in response to tokun1

How subtle is this stuttering? Is it the difference between seeing your video interlaced and deinterlaced?

What are the exact properties of the file you are sending to YouTube or Vimeo? (to find out, import that file into FCP, click on the file in the FCP Browser to select it and once selected type Command + 9 to see the properties for the clip. Either report those properties here or take a screen shot and post that screen shot of the item properties here).

MtD

Mar 17, 2015 11:11 AM in response to Meg The Dog

Hi Mtd,

Thanks for your reply, here is a screen shot of the file. In addition, to a slight stuttering with the movement, (it is a basketball game sequence) once I upload the video the quality looks bad, so I'm trying to upload the HD file with good quality too, I even tried to create a smaller in 720 instead of its' original 1080 size. I shoot with a very good Panasonic AG-130 AVCCAM video camera, shoots very high resolution 1080 60i. Vimeo also limits the file size to 500mb, but in a short 1/1/2 minute sequence I should still get good quality, right?...I'm just confused and frustrated as to why I can't upload good quailty footage to Vimeo and Youtube...thank you very much for the help.

User uploaded file

Mar 17, 2015 11:45 AM in response to tokun1

While I don't suspect MPEG Streamclip as being the problem, you might want to try this workflow:

From FCP-7, export your sequence from the timeline as a QuickTime movie, self contained and without conversion -

File > Export > QuickTime Movie . . .

Make sure "Make Movie Self Contained" is checked -

User uploaded file

Once you have that exported file, take that file into Compressor and use the pre-set for YouTube to convert the file for YouTube or Vimeo.

Upload that - do you see any improvement?

MtD

Mar 17, 2015 12:07 PM in response to tokun1

Wait....is that the format of the clip you are EDITING with? Are you editing a clip that is H.264? That's a no-no. FCP doesn't work with H.264 well...not well at all. Especially if you edit with it, and then export...the export will either lose sync, or be choppy.

FCP only works with clips in FCP editing codecs...such as ProRes. All video must be converted to an editing codec like ProRes first, THEN edited. Then when you export things will be better.

Mar 17, 2015 1:22 PM in response to tokun1

OK, I do this all the time - make TV spots etc. in 1080 60i in ProRes and put them on Vimeo for client review and approval at 720P h.264 and it works fine, so would expect it to work for you.

Remember - compression is based on the complexity of the scene, so a fast panning shot of a basketball game with all the players running down the court is much harder to compress than a locked off shot of a person giving a lecture. You may need to crank up the file target data rate to support the fast action.

What also makes this a hard problem to isolate is you also have all the variables involved with playing back the spots from Vimeo on your particular computer/network/internet connection involved.

If you are happy with the file you have created to upload playing locally on your computer, and then have problems when playing it on Vimeo, you might need to look in some other areas - like switching browers, etc.

MtD

Mar 19, 2015 1:05 PM in response to Meg The Dog

MTG, you really know your stuff...one more question if you don't mind. I'm working a large documentary project in FCP 7 and want to back up everything each time I work, at the end of the session, but I'm not sure how to do this, I do have a backup drive but want to make sure if the hardrive goes down that I have the most recent work backed up. Thank you very much again for your help!

Mar 19, 2015 2:01 PM in response to tokun1

Is your media on an external drive? Best practice is to keep the media on an external drive -

from the FCP manual:

User uploaded file

You should make a back up clones of both your media storage disk(s) and your mac system disk. Good quality, high capacity external drives are cheap. Finding and re-ingesting all your source footage is time consuming and frustrating.

There are several ways to do this, I like Carbon Copy Cloner to do it.

This will make a clone of your drive - an identical, bit for bit copy - so that if your working drive fails (which it will) you can either switch to your cloned copy and keep going, or use the cloned copy as a source and make a new system or media drive.

Cloning via Carbon Copy Cloner is fast, once you do it the first time. In subsequent cloning, the software is smart enough to know only the changes you have made and will make those same changes on the back up disk, leaving unchanged files alone.

Because I make a living off editing, I make two clones of each disk. That gives me greater security that I'll have a working back up should something happen.

In addition to the end of workday clone, I also run a clone if I am stopped for a meeting, telephone call, or lunch if time allows.

This may seem a little over the top, but if you've ever had a drive fail mid-session, you'll understand the reasoning

If you are working with mission critical, non-replaceable footage, or are on extremely tight deadlines, you should also keep a cloned drive set off property in a secure location in case of catastrophe.

Another great tool which I also use is Digital Rebellion's Pro Versioner:

http://www.digitalrebellion.com/proversioner/

which will back up my project file (not the media) and store that backup at locations, including cloud locations such as dropbox, automatically. This is great not only for backing up but it also lets me keep multiple versions - so if I mistakenly delete a sequence, for example, I can go retrieve an earlier version of the project that still has the sequence in it.

MtD

Mar 19, 2015 9:33 PM in response to Meg The Dog

Thanks for that valuable information. Another questions is, Do you have to keep the backup running simultaneously? I'm using a 4tb OWC firewire 800 external drive, and backup with an external 4tb Seagate USB 2.0 I've already backed everything up onto the Seagate, but want to keep the edits I do consistent and backed up so that when the drive goes down. Couldn't I just drag the FCP Icon onto the backup drive would that do it? Thanks again sorry if the question seems redundant.

Exporting footage for Youtube, Vimeo...getting stuttering

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.