Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restore iPhone from iCloud backup

I backed-up my iPhone to iCloud and then performed a factory reset. Now I want to restore from the backup, but in iTunes it says 'Your iPhone has never been backed up to iCloud' (and the backup doesn't appear in the list) and in iCloud Backup on the iPhone there is an option to back-up again but not to restore.

The timestamp at iCloud Backup is when the pre-factory-reset backup was made, and all of the backed-up data seems to be listed at iCloud Manage Storage, so it seems that the backup is there, but how do I restore from it?

iPhone 5, iOS 8.2, null

Posted on Mar 17, 2015 7:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 19, 2015 12:35 PM

Hey funky_pat,

From what I gather, you created an iCloud backup before restoring your device to factory settings but don’t have the option to restore your iPhone 5s from that iCloud backup.

Take a look at the article linked below which may be able to explain why the issue occurred and how to resolve it.

Get help restoring from an iCloud backup - Apple Support

Why are no iCloud backups available for my device?

If you go to Settings > iCloud > Storage > Manage Storage, you should see a list of backups available for that device (In iOS 7, go to Settings > iCloud > Storage & Backup > Manage Storage and tap the name of your device).

You can also review iCloud backups from your computer: Open iCloud preferences (if you're using OS X) or iCloud for Windows (if you're using Windows), click Manage, then click Backups.

If the list of iCloud backups is empty or dimmed:

• Your device might never have completed a successful backup to iCloud. Incomplete backups don't show a size or date, and you can't use them to restore your device. Make sure that you have correctly followed the instructions for backing up your iOS device to iCloud.
  • Your device might be using an earlier version of iOS than was used to create the backup. Update to the latest version of iOS, then try restoring your device from iCloud again.
  • Your backup might have been created with a different iCloud account. When restoring your device from iCloud, the Setup Assistant allows you to tap Back to return to the iCloud sign-in step. If you have several iCloud accounts, sign in with each account until you find the account that can use your backup.
  • If you haven't backed up your iOS device to iCloud for 180 days or longer, Apple reserves the right to delete the backups associated with that device. Review the iCloud Terms and Conditions for more information.

So long,

-Jason

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 19, 2015 12:35 PM in response to funky_pat

Hey funky_pat,

From what I gather, you created an iCloud backup before restoring your device to factory settings but don’t have the option to restore your iPhone 5s from that iCloud backup.

Take a look at the article linked below which may be able to explain why the issue occurred and how to resolve it.

Get help restoring from an iCloud backup - Apple Support

Why are no iCloud backups available for my device?

If you go to Settings > iCloud > Storage > Manage Storage, you should see a list of backups available for that device (In iOS 7, go to Settings > iCloud > Storage & Backup > Manage Storage and tap the name of your device).

You can also review iCloud backups from your computer: Open iCloud preferences (if you're using OS X) or iCloud for Windows (if you're using Windows), click Manage, then click Backups.

If the list of iCloud backups is empty or dimmed:

• Your device might never have completed a successful backup to iCloud. Incomplete backups don't show a size or date, and you can't use them to restore your device. Make sure that you have correctly followed the instructions for backing up your iOS device to iCloud.
  • Your device might be using an earlier version of iOS than was used to create the backup. Update to the latest version of iOS, then try restoring your device from iCloud again.
  • Your backup might have been created with a different iCloud account. When restoring your device from iCloud, the Setup Assistant allows you to tap Back to return to the iCloud sign-in step. If you have several iCloud accounts, sign in with each account until you find the account that can use your backup.
  • If you haven't backed up your iOS device to iCloud for 180 days or longer, Apple reserves the right to delete the backups associated with that device. Review the iCloud Terms and Conditions for more information.

So long,

-Jason

Restore iPhone from iCloud backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.