Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6 WiFi Speed Half of Other Devices

Hello all,

I have an iPhone 6 (running iOS 8.2) As the title suggests, my iPhone 6 reaches about 50% of the WiFi speed of other devices on the same network.

The first image here shows my iPhone 6 running Ookla's SpeedTest and the second image shows an iPad Air (also running 8.2) running on the same network.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

You can easily see the difference in the download speeds. I use a 2013 AirPort Express, which has 802.11n (the one that looks like an AppleTV)

I tried splitting the WiFi into 2.4GHz and 5.0GHz bands and the same results are found. (iPad gets 40/80, while the iPhone gets 20/40 on 2.4 and 5.0Ghz respectively)

Seems like no matter what download speeds are tested on the iPad (or even my 2011 Mac), the iPhone 6 gets only half of that.

Note, I've tested with other iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Pluses and all of the devices seem to have the exact problem, 50% of expected speed. Seems like only the iPhone 6/Plus is affected by this weird problem.

Has anyone else experienced such problem or have any solutions for this?

iPhone 6, iOS 8.2

Posted on Mar 17, 2015 7:36 AM

3 replies

Apr 10, 2015 2:19 AM in response to meteochu

I have this issue too. My older iPad Mini Retina 2 reaches around 90 Mbps speed and my iPhone 6 is struggling to reach 59 Mbps. I was expecting higher WiFi speeds on it.

I've previously owned an Note 4 and I was having 150 Mbps WiFi speed, so the router is not the issue.

Router: Asus RT-N18U

Internet Speed 500 Mbps

Device: iPhone 6 with iOS 8.2 / iOS 8.3

Aug 1, 2015 6:17 PM in response to meteochu

I have the same issue with my 6+. I also seem to have the issue with the other iphones (5s x2 and 4s) as well as my ipad2. I spent many hours on the phone with apple care and tried all the things you can find online with them to try and fix it. They finally told me to go to the store and get a replacement for the 6+. :-{

I did this and still the same issues. I've been thinking it's an iOS issue (I'm on 8.4), but you're saying your ipad works with same software version.

Basically we're stuck . . . no help from store and no help from apple care.

BTW . . . I tried the new iOS9 beta . . . same issue. So it looks like no hope/help in sight.

Aug 1, 2015 6:43 PM in response to tmurrayjr

Well, I just fixed it!

Here's what I did:

I got into my routers (Netgear R700 Nighthawk) setting and enabled "WMM (Wi-Fi multimedia) settings" under the QoS settings. After the router refreshed I tried on both the 2.4 and 5 gHz channels and it worked. I have 75mbps from comcast and I got all of that and more on the 5 gHz channel. I got about 60 mbps on the 2.4 channel . . . I'm guessing because that's what all my other home devices are on. Prior to this I was only getting about 30mbps on both channels (2.4 a little slower as expected).

Hope this helps!

iPhone 6 WiFi Speed Half of Other Devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.