Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS photo app uploading deleted photos to iCloud photo library

I recently tried the iCloud photo library, but discovered that my iPhone will upload photos which have been deleted. When I discovered this, I immediately cleared out the "recently deleted photos" on my iPhone but to no avail. I've restarted my iphone and synced it with my mac, but it's still uploading old deleted photos.

This is a huge waste of data and bandwidth, especially since I'm a poor photographer so will take a dozen shots and only keep the best one. Then I log onto iCloud photos, open the photos app on my iPhone, and it immediately continues uploading all my deleted photos. When I open the photo and video settings on my iPhone, there is a progress bar showing that it was 100+ photos to upload even though only 10 of those are still accessible on my device because the others have been permanently deleted. Something funky going on here where photos must be uploaded, even if deleted and impossible to view on the iPhone?

I do not use my photo stream and do not have that enabled.

iPhone 5, Model A1429

Posted on Mar 17, 2015 8:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 8, 2017 12:11 PM

Send Apple feedback. They won't answer, but at least will know there is a problem or a suggestion for change. If enough people send feedback, it may get the problem/suggested change solved sooner.

Feedback

10 replies

Apr 6, 2017 3:00 AM in response to iPierluigi

We are already in 10.3.1 and we continue with the same.

Once you start uploading something you can already remove it from the reel and empty the trash that is still bent on uploading it, and since it is a large video and the internet connection is bad, you already have the connection collapsed for hours.

It seems incredible the way to proceed so sloppy the icloud manager.

Apr 7, 2017 8:36 AM in response to kaiseryeahhh

Ive had issues on the phone with them for about a year now. Get half way through then no one responds back and have to start all over again.

The deleted pictures that upload are actually viewable in the masters file if you use iCloud on a mac/MacBook etc.

Also these are viewable to apple under the same style system. Ask them to run a health check on your photo library and it will come back with 'x' errors which are all pictures you deleted that still uploaded and they put them in an album.

Apr 8, 2017 8:22 AM in response to Drew Cottrell

This is ridiculous!! I have only had issues with iCloud Photo Library. As convenient as it could be, it turns into a draf really quickly.

I am a musician and I regularly take video of myself playing. Sometimes I have to do many takes before I get the right one, meaning I shoot many videos. But I delete them if I'm not going to use them. Inalso clear them from recently deleted.

I can't believe their cloud storage is so backwards. Not even Microsoft's OneDrive is this bad. ***!!?

May 7, 2015 10:38 AM in response to Drew Cottrell

It's a mess.

On OS 10.10.3, the two processes cloudd and nsurlsessiond handle iCloud uploads (including Photos). I had the same issue today, with a massive upload hogging 100% of my bandwidth through these two processes. On OSX, using LittleSnitch or Terminal, you can kill/unload these processes, or if it's Photos, open Photos/Prefs and Pause the upload.

For example, I shot a video last night, but moved it from Photos to my Desktop, deleting the file in Photos. Even after emptying out the Recently Deleted folder, Photos is still trying to upload a 1.2GB video to iCloud.

The problem seems to be that Photos isn't syncing its index first — ie the file that tells it which files to upload/download. Instead it appears to be blindly uploading/downloading all files (even if deleted), and THEN syncing the index that tells it which photos to keep and which ones to delete.

It's ***-backwards & terrible cloud implementation. Bandwidth is limited here in Canada and I am already seeing a massive and unnecessary spike in my monthly bandwidth with iCloud. Unless I can find adequate workarounds, I'll be cancelling my iCloud account and switching back to iPhoto and Photostream, which never had these issues.

Nov 29, 2015 3:06 AM in response to Drew Cottrell

This is terrible!

They haven't fixed it yet.

My son left my iPhone 6s in video mode and the time I saw that the video file had grown up into few GBs. Hence it was accidentally taken I deleted the video (and from recently deleted folder too).

And then when my phone came into wifi range it started uploading GBs of data to icloud library. Bandwidth was never my concern, but, why is that photo library pushing videos to icloud that I don't want.

This leads to a serious concern to me, if the file that is no where visible in my device is getting uploaded, then what is the guarantee that it is later deleted from icloud. I still wonder why no one has raised this issue with Apple.

I am seriously thinking of moving out of icloud photo library if this issue is not getting resolved.

iOS photo app uploading deleted photos to iCloud photo library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.