Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

First Macbook: Should I get the Air or Pro Retina?

I just got accepted to graduate school and wanted to splurge on a new laptop as I have had my Asus laptop for over 6 years and it is PAINFULLY slow.

I will be using it for school but here is my thing:

I dont want to invest in something that is not going to last my 3 years of graduate school.

I thought I was set on buying the Air but then I started to see articles saying the Air is at the end of its time. What do you guys think? Air or Pro Retina? I am completely new to Apple (besides having an iPad) and would like your input!!!

MacBook Air

Posted on Mar 17, 2015 10:54 AM

4 replies

Mar 17, 2015 11:02 AM in response to gomezgurl101

Congratulations!!

The MBA like the yet to come out new MB are both very light and easy to carry around. The MBPs are heavier and physically larger, but they are also more powerful - substantially so. So, for you the answer may be simple. What's more important to you: weight or performance?

If you to to the online Apple Store you can see the specs for all of Apple's laptops. Use the information to help make your choice.

Mar 17, 2015 1:22 PM in response to gomezgurl101

Whether whatever you buy will last you 3 years is going to be largely dependent on what you intend to do with it and how much you want to spend.

The MBP can be substantially more powerful than a MBA. It's also to beef up a MBA to the point that it is more powerful than the low end of the MBP line.

The first question is, what do you need to do? What kind of work? Do you need to run specialized applications? Will you be doing work that involves a lot of heavy lifting? Video editing, heavy photo editing, etc? If not, then the power of one over the other starts to become less of an issue.

How portable do you need it to be? An 11" MBA comes in at just about 2.3 pounds. The 13" is 2.9 pounds. The new MacBook will weigh in at just 2 Pounds.

Do you need (or want) a Retina display? For some, that's a deal breaker. The display on the MBA is good for what it is. I have one. Just bought it in fact. It's a good display. Is it drop dead gorgeous, like a retina display? No, but I don't need that. I was willing to make the trade off to save money and weight.

If you'll be doing standard 'office' type stuff.... MS Office or similar for writing papers, Web for research, email, etc, then any of them would be just fine. The processor in the new MB isn't quite as bad as the early nay-sayers would seem to indicate. Performance tests were largely run on a design from another manufacturer that was defective out of the gate. I believe Apple won't have that problem.

The issue with the new MB (for me) is price. I was able to get a refurbished 11" 2014 MBA for $679. That's almost half the price of the new MB. Don't overlook the deals to be had in the refurb store!

Mar 17, 2015 3:31 PM in response to KiltedTim

Thank you so much for your responses! I am leaning towards the MacBook Air as I forgot to mention I am mainly using it for papers and research. I will be doing no graphics nor video editing. I guess my concern was that I would end up with a slow notebook like the one I already own!! I don't believe that the retina display is that big of a deal to me. I guess I could get by without it. I just want this money to be invested in the top of the line product!!

Mar 28, 2015 7:37 AM in response to gomezgurl101

I bought my MBA in 3/2013 before retina. I bought it with the most memory I could buy. If I had the choice for retina I probably would. The the thing about Apple is you will use this computer for years, I have been thru 2 OS updates and mine runs like a new one. I will never by a PC again, I consider them a disposable computer because they really are temporary.

First Macbook: Should I get the Air or Pro Retina?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.