Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does my phone say that my photos are taking up 6 GB of storage but I only have 100 pictures in my phone?

I have been constantly deleting pictures to make room for my phone but I don't see where all these pictures are stored. I don't want to reset my phone because I don't want to lose all my datas on some of the apps I have. Please help!

iPhone 5

Posted on Mar 17, 2015 11:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 19, 2015 2:40 PM

You may be able to delete the phantom photos by going to Settings > General > Date & Time and turn “Set Automatically” to off, then tap on the date and manually set it to an earlier date (months or years earlier). Once you have done that, open the Photos app and look at Recently Deleted and see if it has photos that weren’t there before you changed the date. If there are, delete them. When finished, return to Settings > General > Date & Time and turn “Set Automatically” to on. There are more details on this in the following previous discussion: It says I have over 5000 pictures on my iphone when I connect it to my mac taking up 11GB of space, but I only have just over 2000 in my camera roll? All my storage is now full up. Has anyone got any suggestions please?

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 19, 2015 2:40 PM in response to jojojimenez

You may be able to delete the phantom photos by going to Settings > General > Date & Time and turn “Set Automatically” to off, then tap on the date and manually set it to an earlier date (months or years earlier). Once you have done that, open the Photos app and look at Recently Deleted and see if it has photos that weren’t there before you changed the date. If there are, delete them. When finished, return to Settings > General > Date & Time and turn “Set Automatically” to on. There are more details on this in the following previous discussion: It says I have over 5000 pictures on my iphone when I connect it to my mac taking up 11GB of space, but I only have just over 2000 in my camera roll? All my storage is now full up. Has anyone got any suggestions please?

Mar 19, 2015 2:18 PM in response to jojojimenez

Hello there jojojimenez,

It sounds like you have confirmed you have fewer photos in the Photos app than are actually being reported in the Settings. I would use recovery mode to update the iOS. It shouldn't compromise the data that you have on the device, but creating a backup of your phone first is always a good idea, either to iTunes or iCloud:

Should I use iTunes or iCloud to back up my iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch?

and to do the update on your device use this section of the following article:

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch doesn't respond or doesn't turn on

1. Make sure that you have iTunes 12 or later on your computer.
  2. Put your device in recovery mode.
  3. When you get the option to restore or update, select Update. This will reinstall iOS without erasing your data.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Take care,

Sterling

Why does my phone say that my photos are taking up 6 GB of storage but I only have 100 pictures in my phone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.