Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

screenshots look blurred when enlarged

I've uploaded a set of screenshot images that conform precisely with iBooks Store guidelines, but get very disappointing results.

The images are PNGs, 2048 x 1496, (status bars removed), in RGB color space, and the original artwork is sharp and crisp.

But when I tap on them as they appear in the Store description, on the iPad, they go full screen and look extremely poor quality. It would probably be fine, if it was not possible to enlarge them, but it's useless as they are. They do not represent the quality of the book at all.

Anyone else experiencing this, and able to suggest a solution?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Mar 17, 2015 11:31 AM

7 replies

Mar 23, 2015 1:52 AM in response to citroenDS

I May be misunderstanding you.....are you creating your screenshots from an iPad.....screen size is always 1024x748. Retina can deal with a resolution higher than non retina....but a screen grab from an iPad and then resized to 2048 x 1496 is doubling the size and when "re-viewed" is at least 50% lower resolution!

A Lot depends on how you reprocess the SS.

WHen you increase the image size increase the resolution....but do that in reverse! Increase the resolution...then resize the image.

2048 x 1496 at 200 dpi or higher when viewed on a 1024 x 748 iPad ....looks sharper..

Mar 23, 2015 5:51 AM in response to Frank Lowney

I'm using an iPad mini with a Retina Display. The screenshots I've taken include the status bar and are 2048 x 1536. I then use a small app called Status Barred that crops the shot to remove the status bar, and the resulting image is 2048 x 1496. These are PNGs, at 72 ppi. They look very crisp on both my iPad and my MBP until uploaded to the store, and enlarged.

What might I be doing wrong here?

Since posting the original query, I have looked at a number of screenshots for other books on the Book Store, and have yet to find one that is crisp. There may be some somewhere, but all the shots I have looked at show the same degree of fuzziness.

Mar 23, 2015 3:49 PM in response to Frank Lowney

I wonder if the fact that - basically - the whole iBook creation by iBooks Author was setup just for iPads and since iBooks became available on Mac computers... the images can be opened to a bigger screen size - an thus seeming blurred.

I doubt a slightly "blurred" SS image would deter anybody interested in the book.. to DL the sample/Preview copy and there see in all its glory - the image content.

My iBooks are about 75% image based "travel photography" and no feed back mention blurred SS.

BTW I use Snagit and PS CS6 / CC to process screen shots - from the book in iBooks on an iMac - images are optomised and resized at iPad Retina resolution.

Mar 24, 2015 8:59 AM in response to Frank Lowney

I think it does look like a bug, Frank. The screenshots on the iPad would be OK if Apple had disabled the 'tap to enlarge image' function, as on the Mac. I have written to Apple support, but so far without success in getting the screenshots removed. iTunes Producer is showing that there are no screenshots for the book, but they are there - and stay there - on the bookstore. It's frustrating.

You may be right, vinnyvg, that blurred screenshots might not deter someone from downloading a sample. But it looks very unprofessional, especially if the reader is not aware that it's the same with every book.

screenshots look blurred when enlarged

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.