Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iBooks keep disappearing from iPad

Why does iBooks on iPad keep deleting my iBooks and PDF's?

I have the latest version of iOS and iPad Model A1458. I do not sync my iBooks. I manually drop them into iBooks from iTunes.

This is happening more and more frequently. It deleted all of my books and PDF's but a few. Originally I had sorted them all in various categories and one day they just weren't there. There were so many of them I waited to reload them. After reloading them, they disappeared again. And again. This is at least the 4th time.

It may happen when I plug into my computer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If there is a better app to that reads both epub and PDF whereby I can sort into my own chosen categories that would be an acceptable solution as well.

Kindle does not seem to be affected.

iPad, iOS 8.2

Posted on Mar 17, 2015 1:15 PM

2 replies

Jul 26, 2015 9:36 AM in response to JoeyLBford

This is a bug in iTunes as far as I can discern... and a longstanding one. Many users may not even recognize what is happening. I experience this on my iPhone 6 as well as on my iPad.

For some reason, iTunes constantly changes from "sync all books" to "sync selected books." In the process, it deletes the books only to recopy them over when you change the setting back. The change is not saved and every time you plug the device back in for syncing, it does the same thing over and over again.

I have tried to restore my device and it still happens. It makes syncing quite a chore as it takes for ever to copy over 2500 titles!

iBooks keep disappearing from iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.