Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Final Cut Pro X 10.0.6 is UNUSABLE!

Hello there,

I've just purchased an MacBook Pro (used), i7, 4GB Ram and 1TB. It came included with many great apps including FCP X, which I bought it for.

I do a lot of video editing as my job requires me too, but I am having great difficulties in using this Mac. In fact Final Cut Pro X is completely unusable! I cannot even open the application without the MacBook restarting due to a crash. Every time.

I've checked all the specifications and this Mac should be fine running Final Cut Pro X, so I need your help, desperately!

I'm not too computer savvy let alone, Mac savvy so please keep it simple.

Thank you.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Mar 17, 2015 1:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 17, 2015 1:49 PM

Welcome to the family.

Sorry about your issues. Yours is a highly unusual situation and can probably be fixed. Might take some of the wonks a few days to walk you through it but these guys have seen it all.

Meantime. Do you have an Apple Store anywhere nearby? Make a genius appt but be sure you ask for someone who has a clue about FCPX. Most of those well-meaning folks do not know from video or big apps like FCPX, bless their iPhone-centric little hearts.

There have been some other threads here about forced restarts after launching FCP, try to search for some of those.

Your RAM should be bumped up as soon as you have the funds to do so.

34 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 17, 2015 1:49 PM in response to DanielRolinson

Welcome to the family.

Sorry about your issues. Yours is a highly unusual situation and can probably be fixed. Might take some of the wonks a few days to walk you through it but these guys have seen it all.

Meantime. Do you have an Apple Store anywhere nearby? Make a genius appt but be sure you ask for someone who has a clue about FCPX. Most of those well-meaning folks do not know from video or big apps like FCPX, bless their iPhone-centric little hearts.

There have been some other threads here about forced restarts after launching FCP, try to search for some of those.

Your RAM should be bumped up as soon as you have the funds to do so.

Mar 17, 2015 2:39 PM in response to DanielRolinson

Is your profile correct? That is, your Mac is running Mountain Lion and your version of FCP X is 10.0.6?

I'm not really sure whether an Apple Store will in fact tackle this. Not to put too fine a point on it (don't work for Apple), the license for Final Cut is not transferable. No matter how this is resolved one of the issues you'll face is that unless the seller wants to share his/her Apple ID, you won't be able to update the app. (There have been 8 updates since 10.0.6.)

To the immediate problem: I suggest downloading Preference Manager from Digital Rebellion. (All those crashes surely have corrupted some files, probably including preferences.) I'd also run Repair Permissions in Disk Utility.

Russ

Mar 17, 2015 2:47 PM in response to Russ H

Software OS X 10.9.5 (13F34)

Final Cut Pro is 10.0.6

Such an infuriating issue as I'm not 100% sure what to do with Macs, I'm used to PC's now.

Appreciate all the help I'm getting though, would love for the problem to be resolved asap as I have some deadlines coming up shortly, and do not want to revert back to using my old software on my PC. Let's just say it's one step up for Movie Maker!

Mar 17, 2015 3:35 PM in response to DanielRolinson

So a couple of key things here. May as well swallow the frog early on this one--the Apps on that Mac are permanently tied to the Apple ID (email address and password) of the original owner. The operating system is too, so even if you want to upgrade to Yosemite, you must sign into the App Store under your Apple ID. If you use your personal one, the security system is likely to catch the mismatch and give you an error message (it's likely the cause of your crashes and probs). As soon as you do successfully take the OS X Yosemite upgrade, any apps affiliated with the original owner will be out of reach for you. After a major operating system install like Yosemite, you will be obliged to sign into the App Store again, and without the Apple ID of the person who paid the $299 for Final Cut X, you will no longer have access to the software. It's kinda like trying to start a Cadillac with a Toyota key. Options: go ahead and buy Final Cut---(hey it used to be $1600!) Or if you already have Adobe licenses you can certainly call them and ask about options. Honestly the very best thing to do is to set up a Genius Bar appt and have them wipe the computer, install Yosemite and then help you get going. Definitely go up to 16 GB of RAM if you're editing video---it's really inexpensive these days..... www.crucial.com www.macsales.com and there are more. Macsales has videos under their tech support header that show you how to put in the ram, easy-peasy. I know you can get great deals on used Macs---I always sell mine in great condition, but I always have Apple wipe them first (they don't charge anything for this, and can also run diags to make sure all is well.) Hope this saves you some struggle. Cheers.

Mar 17, 2015 3:53 PM in response to DanielRolinson

No, every Mac comes with the iLife and iWork suites of software for free (that covers iPhoto, Garage Band, iMovie, Pages, Numbers, Keynote etc).

Final Cut Pro, Motion, Compressor, Logic Pro X, all all Pro Apps, so yeah, everybody pays extra for those. The person who sold you the used Mac should have explained that--maybe he/she assumed you knew. For security reasons (and sure, licensure protection) those Pro Apps are inextricably tied to the Apple ID of the purchaser--there's really not a way around that. When the Apps are purchased under your Apple ID you'll have smooth sailing buddy, and you won't keep running into this headache every time Final Cut has an update for you to take.(it's vital to take those updates to keep Final Cut in stride with the operating system updates.) The whole things works in concert with all the software configuration. Apple offers a One to One training membership for only $99 a year for as much training as you want--even on the Pro Apps. It's well worth every penny of it. I did it for 2 years while I started up my video production company and it was tremendously helpful. Best to you! There are a few growing pains but it's so well worth it in the end. Final Cut X edits sooooo much faster than the other programs---I have them all and keep relying on FCPX! It's a beast!

Mar 17, 2015 3:59 PM in response to ClemKins

Cheers for the help man, really appreciate it.

I bought the Mac for 800 pounds and told it was to included FCP X and Photoshop CS6 which it does.. however if they can't be used? I may aswell drop 200 pounds from that figure and then purchase FCP X with the spare myself. I need it to be reliable so I can make content regular and quickly, not for it to crash the whole laptop every attempt.

One final question then on Macs in general, with a budget of no more than 650 pounds for the Mac, what's the best I can get for video editing?

Mar 17, 2015 4:11 PM in response to DanielRolinson

I think you've got a great start actually---have the Genius Bar check out your hardware--if that's solid then I would just buy FCPX, then just upgrade the RAM when you can. Then you're set.

Don't shoot the messenger, but you're going to run into the same problem with Photoshop---the license is tied to the original purchaser's email address and password... (I think the seller should give you a bit of a refund if they led you to believe FCP and PS would be usable by you... just saying....)

Not sure if Adobe offers their CreativeCloud in your country but I only pay $9.99 ($10.81 after tax...) a month to have the latest and greatest of Photoshop and Lightroom at their full use. I don't keep any content on their Cloud, but this is just a really affordable way for me to have access to the constantly updated versions of both PS and LR. Adobe also offers Premier and AE in CreativeCloud as well. I think it's $49 a month for the full Adobe Suite on Creative Cloud.

Mar 17, 2015 4:14 PM in response to ClemKins

Thing is I don't really have the money to pay over 1000 pounds unfortunately. I've been in touch with who I bought it from and they're willing to refund me in full. I have about 800 to spend which I thought I'd got a good quality laptop with FCP X whereas now I need to find a decent laptop for 600-650 and then pay the 220 for FCP X aswell!

Mar 17, 2015 4:19 PM in response to DanielRolinson

If you're buying new, check the FCPX marketing page for the minimum system specs and start shopping. But you want two to three times as much RAM as the stock configuration. And you'll need some external drives, most likely. I think you will find the Macintosh to be delightful to both run and maintain compared to anything you run Windows on.

http://www.apple.com/final-cut-pro/

Minimum
System Requirements
  • OS X v10.9.2 or later
  • 4GB of RAM (8GB recommended for 4K)
  • OpenCL-capable graphics card or Intel HD Graphics 3000 or later
  • 256MB of VRAM (1GB recommended for 4K)
  • 3.5GB of disk space

Let's see, pounds to dollars...You've got about $2,000 to spend? FCPX and Motion and Compressor are about US$400 total so include that.

The new wee MacBook does the job. But "best for least" may not be a good editing platform. Personally, I can't edit on a laptop. With every new Apple introduction there are many used Macs that hit the streets. You know a bit more than you did a while ago so the next used Mac will be a better deal.

Final Cut Pro X 10.0.6 is UNUSABLE!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.