Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Missing songs and playlists after update

After installing the latest update on my iPod touch 5, iTunes will not manually sync songs, has deleted many songs off my iPod and all my playlists. They show "on my device" in iTunes but not on my iPod. I am a dance teacher and use my music every day. Help!

iPod touch (5th generation), iOS 8.2

Posted on Mar 17, 2015 12:37 PM

39 replies

Aug 31, 2017 9:30 AM in response to AotBlog

Well, I tried to install my playlists and music onto an ipod touch, and there's so many aps on the ipod touch that there's no room. I deleted all I could, and it still didn't have enough room, and never uploaded my playlists --decades of creating my playlists--gone. Hate the Ipod touch, and the updates, user interface is not intuitive, and I don't have my music.

Mar 17, 2015 12:52 PM in response to TSeibold

Try:

- Reset the iOS device. Nothing will be lost

Reset iOS device: Hold down the On/Off button and the Home button at the same time for at

least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appears.

- Unsync/delete all music and resync

To delete all music go to Settings>General>Usage>Storage>Manage Storage>Music>Tap edit in upper right and then tap the minus sign by All Music

- Reset all settings

Go to Settings > General > Reset and tap Reset All Settings.

All your preferences and settings are reset. Information (such as contacts and calendars) and media (such as songs and videos) aren’t affected.

- Restore from backup. See:

iOS: Back up and restore your iOS device with iCloud or iTunes

- Restore to factory settings/new iOS device.

Mar 18, 2015 1:47 PM in response to TSeibold

Same thing happened on my iPhone 6 plus. Not sure if it was the iTunes update or iOS update to 8.2 as I updated both at the same time.

I still see the songs in iTunes when I plug in via USB (i manage the music manually) but not on my phone. When I add new music, again it shows on iTunes but not on the phone. When I click play, they grey out ... but next time I plug in they are in iTunes again.

Mar 18, 2015 4:12 PM in response to TSeibold

I am having the exact same problem...

iPod Touch 5 - IOS 8.2

iTunes version 12.1.1.4

Win vista

Just like Tseibold and vanhalen26, I can see my playlists in iTunes when the iPod is connected, but the iPod shows nothing. Even after I drag songs over to a previously created playlist, there is nothing on the iPod. The songs listed on the iPod all have the iCloud download symbol. BTW is there a way to do a universal download of these songs on the iPod?)

I posted this question yesterday and lllaass was kind enough to offer the solution above, but I'm afraid I had no luck with it. Ugh!!! his seemed to have begun about 3 weeks or so ago with one of these updates.Why can't they just leave this stuff alone??!!??

Mar 18, 2015 4:46 PM in response to DD1218

For now I'm not going to try and trouble shoot and do a restore from a backup as it might just copy the problem back in.

ill wait for the next iTunes release and see if that fixes it along with iOS 8.2.1 whenever that drops.

i Do wonder if the media is still on my phone and if whatever has corrupted can be repaired, or if a restore is in order - and whether it would be a restore from a backup or set up as a new device.

there are quite a few complaints about this, but they are spread across multiple threads, so I'm not sure if this has arisen to Apples attention yet. I'm hoping it has.

Mar 18, 2015 7:18 PM in response to nord117

Crap - that *****. I guess wait for an update and see if that fixes, if not go to apple for an exchange.

about a month ago I had an issue where my iMessage wouldn't register. Apple had me do restores, set up as new, and chewed up a ton of my time. Turns out it was a known issue and theu fixed it in ios 8.1.3

from that I learnt just wait vs invest a ton of time. Open a ticket maybe or post here so they become aware of the issue, but then wait for the fix.

it is a shame though - I bought a 128 gb device to take my media with me and it's the media that won't work.

Missing songs and playlists after update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.