Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto Problem

My Mac Air got a 'smart search' virus, I managed to delete the installers and changed the safari system preferences. I thought that solved the problem but now I realise that I can't open my iPhoto. This keeps popping up. I tried re-installing iPhoto but it didn't work! Please helpUser uploaded file

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 17, 2015 1:47 PM

21 replies

Mar 17, 2015 4:34 PM in response to Ev_angel_yn

this is NOT a virus - it is Malwear - here is a discussion telling how to remove it - uninstall a virus called smart search

It is not clear how this Malware could have affected iPhoto

Do you have an iPhoto library? Try holding down the option and command keys while launching iphoto - keep them down until the first aid window appears - repair permissions and then repeat rebuilding you database

LN

Mar 18, 2015 1:20 PM in response to Ev_angel_yn

Reinstall it.

To re-install iPhoto

1. Put the iPhoto.app in the trash (Drag it from your Applications Folder to the trash)

2. Download it from the App Store to reinstall It's on your Purchases List* there.

*Sometimes iPhoto is not visible on the Purchases List. it may be hidden. See this article for details on how to unhide it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4928

One question often asked: Will I lose my Photos if I reinstall?

iPhoto the application and the iPhoto Library are two different parts of the iPhoto programme. So, reinstalling the app should not affect the Library. BUT you should always have a back up before doing this kind of work. Always.

iPhoto Problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.