Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help PowerBook 150 not Run disket flash Question mark System 7.5.3 - 18 parts.

PowerBook 150 not Run disket flash Question mark System 7.5.3 - 18 parts. Please Help !!!

User uploaded file

PowerBook, Mac OS 8.6 or Earlier

Posted on Mar 17, 2015 2:48 PM

33 replies

Mar 17, 2015 4:44 PM in response to adibg

The flashing question-mark indicates that the computer cannot locate a valid system folder.

If the PowerBook 150 hard disk is empty, and you are trying to use one of the (previously downloadable from Apple) System 7.5.3 floppy-sized files, this behaviour would be normal. These downloadable files (seventeen to twenty, depending on language version) did not contain a bootable disk. The idea was to copy the files to the (PB 150) hard disk, then use StuffIt Expander to decode MacBinary (or possibly BinHex), then move all files to a common folder, and finally double-click on the first file (.smi) to mount the entire disk image. The eighteen files in your case together constitute one large self-mounting image. A System 7.5.3 installer will be found in the mounted image.

In order to be able to transfer (copy) the files to the PB 150 hard disk, you will need a separate startup floppy. The Network Access Disk 7.5 is one example. One can drag-copy the system folder of a startup floppy to the empty hard disk (providing that the latter has been formatted already). That will create a temporary system on the hard disk, which would free the floppy drive for transfers.

Jan

Mar 18, 2015 2:39 AM in response to Jan Hedlund

Thank you a lots for the information, but i dont know how to use the .image files. I downloaded "Stuffit expander" i am saving 1 of 18 parts to the floppy on MacBook, Yosemite, but PB 150 dont accept them, show "X" on disket !!!?

How can i transfer all of the 18 parts of System 7.5.3 to PB 150 using floppy disket and Stuffit expander. Can i do that from my Macbook OS Yosemite, or i have to use OS Windows !!!? 😐

Do i have to put ( copy ) something else before System 7.5.3 files !!!?

Mar 18, 2015 4:38 AM in response to adibg

Hi,

First of all, in order to verify whether the 7.5.3 system software files are of the type earlier downloadable from Apple (with one large image file split onto floppy-sized segments), could you confirm that the first of the eighteen files has a file name with ".smi" at the end (before .bin or .hqx), and that the remaining seventeen files each include ".part"? The US version had totally nineteen files (one. smi and eighteen .part), but as I indicated above, this was different depending on language version.

If the PowerBook 150 is empty (without an operating system), you will need a startup floppy. Do you have access to a Disk Tools floppy for the PB 150? A Network Access Disk 7.5 floppy would be useful under all circumstances, and can be used as an alternative startup disk (and the system folder could be copied to the hard disk, and would then act as a temporary system). The problem today is that Apple's older software downloads list, which contained the Network Access Disk 7.5, does not appear to be available any more.

If you have the NAD 7.5 file already, the normal way of creating a bootable floppy was via a utility called Disk Copy (on another Macintosh computer with a built-in floppy drive). Disk Copy 6.3.3 can still be downloaded (https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1262). The Make a Floppy command under the Utilities menu is used to create properly sector-copied floppy disks. Please note that the Disk Copy utility is not needed or used to mount a self-mounting image (.smi).

There were special methods allowing an NAD 7.5 floppy to be made through a Windows PC as well (using a Windows version of StuffIt/Aladdin Expander and a utility such as WinImage).

It is also possible to obtain a version of StuffIt Expander for the PB 150 through a PC (but the PowerBook would need at least a temporary operating system first). With access to an older Windows PC (capable of running a DOS program) with a floppy drive, you may want to try the following: Prepare an empty PC-formatted 1.44 MB diskette via FORMAT A: in DOS or the "full" formatting option under Windows. Download the MACDISK.EXE file from http://rrzs42.uni-regensburg.de/Macintosh/files/macftp.html . Run this MACDISK.EXE (DOS) program on the Windows PC. Follow the instructions on screen. The result will be a Mac-formatted (sic!) floppy that could be moved to and used with the PB 150. This floppy contains a StuffIt Expander installer. Once installed, drag downloaded .bin files onto the StuffIt Expander program icon to decode them.

Mar 18, 2015 12:39 PM in response to Jan Hedlund

Hi

That's how my parts, System 7.5.3 Bulgarian version

User uploaded file

I have this boot disk, because I found PB 150 second hand. I found this in internet "Network Access Disk 7.5"

http://igsi.tripod.com/mac/index753.htm

But how can I save it to disk, applications "Stuffit expander" shows me this:

User uploaded file

Should mandatory disks to write them down on Windows, because I have a USB floppy disk and I can work on my MacBook it !!!?

User uploaded file

Mar 18, 2015 7:04 PM in response to adibg

The first picture appears to show a set of floppy-sized file segments similar to the type I talked about earlier (a large self-mounting image). So, these segments would have to be transferred to the PowerBook 150 (1.44 MB floppy disks can be used for the transfers). It is best not to try to decode the MacBinary (.bin) until on the PB 150. Keep all 7.5.3 files as .bin, and then use an appropriate version of StuffIt Expander on the PB 150. The PC method described above is an easy way to get a working StuffIt Expander 4.0.1 (the Mac-formatted floppy with the installer will be automatically created from an originally PC-formatted 1.44 MB HD diskette). Perhaps you could borrow an older Windows PC (running anything between Windows 95 and XP) with a built-in floppy drive for the purpose.

However, before you can do anything else, a boot disk will be needed for the PB 150. Unless you already have one (such as a Disk Tools floppy for that computer), a Network Access disk can be created. I do not know anything about the site mentioned, but according to the second picture you seem to have the disk image file of interest already (Network Access.image). In this case, the best way would be to borrow another working Macintosh computer an then create the floppy from the disk image using Disk Copy 4.2 (the Make A Copy button) or Disk Copy 6.3.3 (the Make a Floppy command under the Utilities menu).

Because of changes in the way later Mac OS X versions handle older file systems etc, I cannot give you any advice about transfers or attempts to create floppies from disk images without having tested methods. Strangely enough, it may sometimes be easier to take the route over Windows. A Windows computer with a Mac-disk utility like TransMac or MacDrive (in a version that still supports floppies) could be used for plain transfers on 1.44 MB HD diskettes (reformatted to Mac). If you on the other hand wish to try to create a bootable floppy (such as the Network Access disk) from a disk image on a Windows computer, the following old discussion may be of interest to you: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5546633?answerId=23801121022#23801121022 (BTW, just noticed that the link there to the Apple download for the NAD 7.5 still seems to be active).

Jan

Mar 19, 2015 2:40 PM in response to adibg

Hello again,

MacDrive can be used for at least plain transfers, but this is not what you want to do with the boot disk image. In order to convert a disk image to a properly sector-copied floppy on a Windows PC, a special disk-image utility would be needed. I do not know whether MacDrive has that capability for old Disk Copy 4.2-style floppy disk images. A utility such as WinImage can be used, though.

Take a look at my message under the aforementioned old discussion https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5546633?answerId=23801121022#23801121022. The section in italics describes how to handle a Network Access image on a Windows computer. Please note that this may or may not work with newer Windows versions and with an external USB floppy drive. It could possibly become necessary to locate an older PC, with a built-in floppy drive and something like Windows 95, 98 or XP.

Jan

Mar 19, 2015 3:05 PM in response to adibg

>Which of the two files must write to a floppy disk to create a bootable diskette: Network Access Disk 7.5.sea.bin or Disk Copy 6.3.3.smi.bin

The interesting file for the bootable disk as such is the Network_Access_Disk_7.5.sea.bin. The idea (when using Windows) is to decode the .bin and decompress the .sea in order to get to the Network Access.image. This image can then be converted (written) to a sector-copied floppy through the use of an appropriate WinImage version.

Disk Copy 6.3.3 is only needed if you make the Network Access boot floppy on another old (approx. 1991-1997) Macintosh computer with a built-in floppy drive instead.

Mar 19, 2015 3:07 PM in response to Jan Hedlund

OK, now I understood little. I have an old PC computer with OS Windows XP built-in floppy and I will try to write to a floppy disk NAD 7.5.bin file through the application winImage. And this "Coppy 6.3.3" I do not need if you I want should I enroll on an old Macintosh computer (1991-1997) with integrated floppy. When I try and write in the topic what happened 🙂

Thank you that you are so good as to help me !!!

Mar 19, 2015 4:17 PM in response to adibg

>write to a floppy disk NAD 7.5.bin file through the application winImage

Just to clarify, when you get as far as to the WinImage utility, the file to use would be the "Network Access.image" (the result after having used StuffIt/Aladdin Expander on the Windows machine to decode the .bin and decompress the .sea).

Please note that decoding and decompressing a Mac file on a PC is an exception (to be used only in connection with this special technique). Normally, all Mac application files are to be kept unaltered until on a Macintosh computer. The encoding is there to protect a Mac file from losing one of two file forks when on a PC.

Successfully creating a floppy from a disk image on the PC will require the diskette to be without defects. Always begin by formatting the floppy (FORMAT A: under DOS or a "full" formatting under Windows). In case of a problem, try another diskette.

Good luck! Do not hesitate to post back if you have additional questions.

Jan

Mar 23, 2015 7:17 AM in response to Jan Hedlund

Hello, thank you very much for helping me !!!!

I finally saved the NAD 7.5 file on a floppy disket ( on windows xp ).PB 150 is booting the disket with the NAD 7.5 file but when i drag the disket out PB 150 wants it back. What should i do from now on? Should i save the NAD 7.5 file on the PB 150 or something else ?
Here is а video of me what i do . Clearly im doing something wrong.

https://youtu.be/FzEntL9Ynw0?list=UUGEZOjupSZWqWqh1nVrW4Nw

Mar 23, 2015 3:14 PM in response to adibg

Hi,

Very good so far. The NAD 7.5 floppy contains the valid system. It is possible to eject this floppy (while the basic system stays in RAM) and insert another disk with a small program. However, this leads to a series of floppy swapping, where the computer will ask for the first or second disk repeatedly. That can be used for certain limited tasks, but is not something you normally want.

Instead, the next step should be to copy the system folder from the floppy to an empty (but formatted) hard disk, for a temporary system. However, we have a small problem. There should be a hard disk icon below the startup floppy on the Desktop, but an icon cannot be seen. Can the hard disk be heard spinning (please post back with this information before we continue)? Otherwise, you may have to open the computer in order to check whether there is a hard drive installed at all (the PB 150 is relatively easy to open).

Jan

Help PowerBook 150 not Run disket flash Question mark System 7.5.3 - 18 parts.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.