Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Super Drive will not read any disks

My old reliable G4 Snowball (the image in my avatar) will not read any disk put in the tray: music cd, video dvd, even the Hardware Test Disk. The drive makes a slight sound as the disk rotates and then it spits the disk out, with nothing read. The disk image also does not appear on the desktop. Anyone else have a problem like this? The G4 runs on OSX 10.4.11 since the update came out, the Super Drive is a Pioneer dvd-rw DVR-105, and the System preferences are set correctly.

My guess is that this 15 year old machine needs a replacement drive. The website iFixit does not have a specific repair guide for the 17 inch model, just for the 15; it doesn't look much different. Would I be better off trying to find a replacement Super Drive or just using an outboard Firewire drive? Retiring the G4 is not an option right now......$$$. Thanks! bob.c

PowerBook, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Mar 17, 2015 4:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 17, 2015 5:38 PM

Before thinking "replacement," first try a drive cleaning disk. They are commonly available at computer, home entertainment, and even office supply stores that carry computer products. They are typically US$5 to $15---much cheaper than finding a working drive that has been out of produciton for a long time.

A friend had an older Mac and a Mac technician told him his optical drive was beyond hope and would require replacement. I loaned him my cleaning disk and the drive came back to life, and was still working when he got a newer Mac several years later.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 17, 2015 5:38 PM in response to bob.c

Before thinking "replacement," first try a drive cleaning disk. They are commonly available at computer, home entertainment, and even office supply stores that carry computer products. They are typically US$5 to $15---much cheaper than finding a working drive that has been out of produciton for a long time.

A friend had an older Mac and a Mac technician told him his optical drive was beyond hope and would require replacement. I loaned him my cleaning disk and the drive came back to life, and was still working when he got a newer Mac several years later.

Mar 17, 2015 8:11 PM in response to Allan Jones

Thanks, Allan. I saw that possible solution mentioned in other similar threads and I will give it a try. It surely would be easier than a replacement. I did get back to my music project that started this whole thing, using an off board cd/dvd player plugged into a usb port. I'll also check into firewire drives. Will let you know how the cleaner works...hoping to click a white checkmark in a green blob!

Super Drive will not read any disks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.