Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Calendar app keeps freezing/crashing despite all attempts to resolve...

Hi,

I'm running a Macbook Pro Retina (mid 2012) with 10.10.2 installed.

My issue at the moment is that my Calendar app keeps freezing and will get the "beachball of death" and need a force quit every time I open it. It seems to have just occurred out of nowhere...

I have tried countless attempts to fix it (which I will list) but ultimately the only thing which allows me to open the calendar app without it freezing up/having to force quit is by disabling Calendar from iCloud settings.

I have already tried the following to fix/isolate this issue, without success:

-Restarting computer

-Deleting calendar cache (from ~library/calendar/)

-Deleting calendar container

-Deleting calendar preferences .plist

-Making an alternate user account (this solved the issue but only within that new user account - within the new user account, I was able to use Calendar as normal, and add an iCloud account and all that, without any issue at all)

The only thing which solved the calendar issue (other than turning off Calendar in iCloud settings) was to move the entire "Calendars" folder (~library/calendars) to my desktop. However, when I did that, I was then unable to add any account back to Calendar. The Calendar application would open, but when I went to preferences to add an account (whether it be iCloud, or Google, or anything) it would simply just not add the account after entering in the information.

At this point, I'm chock out of ideas, but chock full of frustration.

Any help would be appreciated!

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), Calendar Crashing

Posted on Mar 17, 2015 6:24 PM

12 replies

Mar 17, 2015 6:58 PM in response to MedLife

When you see a beachball cursor, note the exact time: hour, minute, second.

These instructions must be carried out as an administrator. If you have only one user account, you are the administrator.

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad and start typing the name.

The title of the Console window should be All Messages. If it isn't, select

SYSTEM LOG QUERIES All Messages

from the log list on the left. If you don't see that list, select

View Show Log List

from the menu bar at the top of the screen.

Each message in the log begins with the date and time when it was entered. Scroll back to the time you noted above.

Select the messages entered from then until the end of the episode, or until they start to repeat, whichever comes first.

Copy the messages to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. Paste into a reply to this message by pressing command-V.

The log contains a vast amount of information, almost all of it useless for solving any particular problem. When posting a log extract, be selective. A few dozen lines are almost always more than enough.

Please don't indiscriminately dump thousands of lines from the log into this discussion.

Please don't post screenshots of log messages—post the text.

Some private information, such as your name, may appear in the log. Anonymize before posting.

Mar 17, 2015 7:34 PM in response to Linc Davis

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Here is what I got from Console:

3/17/15 10:29:23.454 PM com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.apple.imfoundation.IMRemoteURLConnectionAgent) The _DirtyJetsamMemoryLimit key is not available on this platform.

3/17/15 10:29:23.807 PM CalendarAgent[223]: Exception fetching ABCDContact in context <ABManagedObjectContext: 0x7f8fc1d682f0>: keypath birthdayComponents not found in entity <NSSQLEntity ABCDContact id=21>

3/17/15 10:29:23.807 PM CalendarAgent[223]: Error fetching ABCDContact in context <ABManagedObjectContext: 0x7f8fc1d682f0>: (null) (null)

3/17/15 10:30:52.210 PM lsuseractivityd[233]: -[LSUserActivityClientProcess doUpdateUserActivityInfo:makeCurrent:completionHandler:], refusing to register user activity from client, and returning error Error Domain=LSContinuityErrorDomain Code=-108 "The operation couldn’t be completed. (LSContinuityErrorDomain error -108.)" for item <__NSConcreteUUID 0x7f8321d16190> 344CC3C3-712E-4D9F-830C-A1EA92E3DF72 com.apple.calendar.continuity.date_selection (LSUserActivityClientProcess.m #1148)

3/17/15 10:30:59.419 PM com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.apple.quicklook[2844]) Endpoint has been activated through legacy launch(3) APIs. Please switch to XPC or bootstrap_check_in(): com.apple.quicklook

3/17/15 10:31:00.673 PM Console[2846]: Failed to connect (_consoleX) outlet from (NSApplication) to (ConsoleX): missing setter or instance variable

Mar 17, 2015 9:24 PM in response to Linc Davis

Hi,

I tried everything that was listed in both articles, however the problem unfortunately still persists.

Despite doing everything as described in the links, once I ultimately turn iCloud back on in setting, the calendar app continues to once again freeze up. The steps of downloading a back up copy of calendar via icloud.com, and then importing it into Calendar, and then turning iCloud back on merely caused my Calendar app to display 2 identical copies (one being On My Mac, the other being iCloud) and still having the app freeze.

Any thoughts?

Mar 17, 2015 10:10 PM in response to Linc Davis

Hi,

Yes, I turned off iCloud calendar on my Mac (as well as on my iPhone), and then followed the steps they had described. When I click on the backed up version of my iCloud calendar (which I downloaded as per the instructions), it prompts me to create a new calendar in the Calendar app. However, this calendar is listed as "On My Mac. I cleaned up any duplicate or birthday issues (there actually were none) and then go to turn iCloud calendar back on via settings, and all it does it turn my iCloud calendar back on (and importing it into Calendar) alongside the newly created calendar which remains "On My Mac". I have even taken the step now of attempting to delete my calendar entirely off of iCloud.com as well, however they require you to maintain at least one calendar within iCloud, so I created a new "temp" calendar as a place holder. However, once again whenever I turn iCloud calendar back on, it creates havoc within the Calendar app, and the freezing once again entails..

Sep 1, 2015 5:47 PM in response to Linc Davis

Hi everyone, desperate here and open to any suggestions.

Have a MacBook Pro (13-inch, Early 2011) operating on Yosemite OS X 10.10.5

Calendar crashed about a week ago. Thought it was a one time thing, but identical issues have happened since.

Every time I open it, is completely fine initially. I can actually scroll through months on the trackpad, etc.

However, whenever I then select a date, any date, to add or edit an event, the pinwheel starts going, it freezes and crashes.

Message is:

Exception Type: EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000

Application Specific Information:

*** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSInvalidArgumentException', reason: '-[CalUIInspectorPopoverController shouldDelayTrackingEventSelectionUntilEditing]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x60800034be70'

terminating with uncaught exception of type NSException

abort() called

I have followed instructions on previous threads to no avail.

Deleted caches and preferences.

Moved calendar to desktop. As per another thread, when I tried to relaunch it, it did open, suggesting that the app was corrupted.

I then went back a month on my Time Machine (when I know it was working well) and restored the Calendars folder, and re-opened it with identical results.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Calendar app keeps freezing/crashing despite all attempts to resolve...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.