Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safar 8.04 update

Yo all,

Anybody else having problems with the latest Software Update - Safari 8.04 update - sourced through the App Store - hanging - not hanging the App Store app, just hanging the install ... during installation and refusing to go past 'Installing -Calculating' whilst showing as installed below the bar, and severely messing with the functionality of 8.03 (opening bogus websites, opening other Web browsers, and subsequently causing SERIOUS security concerns in my imagination).

Is it possible this one got through Quality Control without a glance at Cupertino - a rogue buggy application installer released into the wild, or is this just happening on my Mac? And if it is happening only with my Mac, why all the security issues ... bogus website and application openings etc?

Anyway ... at the moment I'm one very alarmed little black duck, and wouldn't recommend the 8.04 update through the App Store. It seems a bit buggy.

My System: Late 2014 5K iMac, Yosemite 10,10.2 ... all running fine until I tried to install the Safari 8.04 update.

Posted on Mar 17, 2015 7:26 PM

5 replies

Mar 18, 2015 9:46 AM in response to Francis A O-'Connor__

No problems with any of my iMac platforms - and I am running a similar 5k iMac and some far older. The Safari 8.04 update download has not received any negative ratings from users either here or on the macrumors forum. It is basically a security fix. This particular update has been out now for well over 12 hours, which is usually a safe time to attempt any Apple update, as the initial users of any new download often act as beta-testers. But I see no problems with this particular update at all. Thanks Apple.

Mar 18, 2015 1:52 PM in response to torreypines

Thanks for that ....

I'm guessing the problem lies somewhere with my System then.

It was fixed with a hard reboot ... so it wasn't hardware at fault - and that only leaves some software conflict or disk maintenance glitch. I'll run some disk/diagnostic utilities over it to see that it doesn't happen again. (Any glitch that adversely affects the App Store/Software Update feature is not one I'd like to repeat.)

Mar 30, 2015 12:53 PM in response to acollins94

True dat. There's always whining when Apple SW is updated, but Safari 8.04 is utterly atrocious, FAR FAR FAR beyond minor slowdowns. If you can, do NOT update until at least an 8.05 is released.

There seems to be something very broken in the handling of non-textual assets. Pages that consist of nothing but text are as zippy as always, but a page that contains many pictures or, worst of all, many small video clips (even though those clips are not set to autoplay), something like the YouTube or google news home pages, can take literally a minute or more to load, all the while with the CPU usage pegged at anything from 200 to 400%.

God knows what it's doing --- maybe someone added code to do something recompact the heap whenever assets of a certain size are loaded, and got the algorithm horribly wrong so that it runs after every assert load rather than on-demand, or uses some sort of crazy O(n^3) traversal of the relevant data structure or something?

Safar 8.04 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.