Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6 Plus (iOS 8.2) Displaying Wrongs Artist Names

Hello Readers,

I hope this somehow makes it's way to someone at Apple or anyone who may be able to help me:
A few days ago, I updated to iOS 8.2 on my iPhone 6 Plus (128 GB/Sprint). Then I noticed that the artist names were incorrect. First I thought maybe it was a glitch, so I restored my iPhone from my backup, but it was exactly the same. So then I checked iTunes on my Mac and everything was correct, then lastly I checked my iPod Touch which syncs with the same Mac and the same music and everything there was correct.
I cannot seem to figure out what's going on, because it all started when I updated to iOS 8.2, and it's very annoying because it's on some songs.

Some of songs that I noticed that are incorrect are Michael Jackson's "Love Never Felt So Good (Duet With Justin Timberlake)", when I play that song it says "Michael Jackson Feat. Akon" on the artist info, but that is not how I have it on my Mac or how it appears on my iPod Touch.

I purchased Michael Jackson's Xscape album both as CD and from the iTunes Store and both versions display the wrong artist info for "Love Never Felt So Good (Duet With Justin Timberlake)".
Here are some screen shots so you can see what I'm talking about:User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

If you know how to fix this, please help me and other iOS 8.2 users who are going through this.
THANK YOU,
Luis

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.2

Posted on Mar 17, 2015 8:40 PM

41 replies

Mar 17, 2015 9:00 PM in response to ADKIc3mAnX

Hey there!

That sure sounds unpleasant. Are the tracks affected only purchased items from the iTunes Store? If so, give this a whirl and let me know if it helps you out:

1. Remove the songs from your iOS device by sliding left on the track and tapping "Delete". They are not permanently deleted as they will be retrieved from your account in later steps.
  2. Navigate to Settings > iTunes and App Store then tap on your Apple ID and press "Sign Out"
  3. 3) Navigate to Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings. Enter your passcode if necessary and proceed. (*NOTE: Resetting All Settings will remove certain information from your device such as the selected background on home and lock screen, remove your passcode and general settings. You may have to re-enter this kind of information once iPhone reboots)
  4. Once your device turns back on, navigate to Settings > iTunes and App Store. Renter your Apple ID and password.
  5. Launch the iTunes Store app from the home screen on your device.
  6. Retrieve your purchases by tapping on "More", located at the bottom right corner of the app. Under the "Purchased" section, find the songs you've removed and tap on the cloud icon to retrieve your purchases.

I can only speculate that this issue is related to settings on your device. It's possible that the issue persists because you've restored a backup where the bug was located in the first place. The steps above should help. Try it out and let me know if that works for you.

Cheers!

Mar 17, 2015 9:23 PM in response to ADKIc3mAnX

Hmm...interesting.

If there are several people that have experienced that issue, have you attempted to restore your device through recovery mode? It essentially reinstalls the iOS 8.2 software. If you do that and set it up as new just to try it and it still doesn't work, it would appear to be more of a service issue. I would suggest trying that out and then booking an appointment at the Genius Bar at your nearest Apple Retail Store if there's one in your area.

Mar 17, 2015 9:33 PM in response to ADKIc3mAnX

Restoring your phone through recovery mode (DFU Mode) will completely erase all your information. You said you've backed up your information and already restored it before though, correct? Consider it a more thorough way to restore your phone. It should only be done when restoring your phone and setting it up as new still does not do the trick. Have you tried setting up the device as new?

Mar 17, 2015 9:37 PM in response to ADKIc3mAnX

Yep, Same problem here. It's listed as the correct artist in iTunes, but it shows up as the wrong artist on my iPhone. Is it just that one song you showed, or do all your Michael Jackson songs show that as the artist? I can also verify that, at least for me, it is not only songs I've purchased, but songs I've ripped or downloaded from other sources as well. I know it is not a corrupt library, because when I sync the music to my iPod, it shows the correct artist. The only fix I have found is very annoying. I had to downgrade back to 8.1.3, and that fixed the problem. Unfortunately, I have a permanent notification on my settings app that there is an update, but I can't remove it, which is irritating. So it is definitely a bug in 8.2. Apple is still allowing the downgrade to 8.1.3, but at some point in the near future, they will stop letting you restore your phone with 8.1.3. This needs to be fixed for the next update. If you would like instructions on how to do this, let me know. You do not need to Jailbreak your phone. In fact, with the music app acting buggy since the last few updates, I wouldn't recommend Jailbreaking, as it could cause more problems.

Mar 17, 2015 9:40 PM in response to acondax

I tried to restore my iPhone as a new iPhone and that didn't do it. Then I restored it back from the backup since it was the same, but I would try that restore you mentioned. Only thing is there is no way to get pictures out of an iPhone using Image Capture or iPhoto anymore... That was disabled with iOS 8.1.3 and also Yosemite 10.10.2.

Mar 17, 2015 9:46 PM in response to michael151

Hey Michael,

So far I've noticed it with all my Michael Jackson "Love Never Felt So Good (Duet With Justin Timberlake)" songs, because I purchased all the remixes and I also ripped the Xscape CD and purchased the iTunes version of Xscape. But also with Maroon 5's Sugar (Remix).
It's so annoying because everything was perfectly fine before iOS 8.2.

Thanks,
Luis

Mar 21, 2015 1:03 AM in response to NebMerath

Hello,

Thank you so much for replying. I'm so happy to see that I'm not the only one, because I tried to call Apple and nothing they couldn't figure out a solution. So they left my case open, but it's not just a few people who are affected, all my friends are having this issue with their music that was purchased Via iTunes.

If you can PLEASE share this post everywhere possible, because someone from Apple has to see that it's not just some people and that it's very annoying to not fix it. Also if you can please share screenshots like I did, so that they can better understand what we're experiencing.

Thanks!

Luis

Mar 24, 2015 7:01 PM in response to NebMerath

I haven't had much luck. I tried calling Apple, but they couldon't figure out how to fix it. They even went through a whole restore along with me on the phone and that still didn't work. I led them to this post via a Live Screen Share, but that didn't help either. They did however see that I'm not the only one having this problem.

Have you had any success?

Mar 26, 2015 12:31 PM in response to ADKIc3mAnX

I have Iphone5C and I been noticing displaying wrong artist names since yesterday morning. I think I downloaded ios 8.2 a few weeks ago.

For instance, clearly on Itunes store on my desktop machine shows "Don Omar-Sr Destino-Meet the Orphans, But on my iphone it shows up as Don Omar & Juan Magan. I don't know why it's showing up & Juan Magan. I deleted my entire playlist on my iphone and will try to resync it with my desktop machine at home. I have a appointment this weekend with a tech person at a apple store, near my house.

Anna

iPhone 6 Plus (iOS 8.2) Displaying Wrongs Artist Names

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.