Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to reset my iphone 4 with broken home button and forgotten passcode

Ok ok. I found an old iPhone 4 that used to be my older sister's when she had her phone in the shop. I was planning on using it until i could figure out what to do with my broken 5s. The only problem is that my sister forgot the passcode and i can't set it to factory settings without the home button which happens to be broken. Any suggestions?

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.2

Posted on Mar 17, 2015 11:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 18, 2015 7:26 AM

OK, go to Settings>General>Accessibility>Assistive Touch, and turn it on. That will put a little square with a white dot in the middle on your screen. This is the Home button. Follow the instructions in the link. I'm not 100% sure that the Assitive Touch Home button will be recognized by iTunes, but it's worth a shot.

Cheers,

GB

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 18, 2015 7:26 AM in response to rockersxx

OK, go to Settings>General>Accessibility>Assistive Touch, and turn it on. That will put a little square with a white dot in the middle on your screen. This is the Home button. Follow the instructions in the link. I'm not 100% sure that the Assitive Touch Home button will be recognized by iTunes, but it's worth a shot.

Cheers,

GB

Mar 18, 2015 2:48 PM in response to gail from maine

again, i dont know the password and i couldnt get into the phone in the first place. i thought of setting it to factory settings to reset the whole thing and take the passcode off but you need a working home button for that to work. i already have assistive touch on it from when my sister used it but that doesnt help when trying to put it in recovery mode. sorry if i wasnt clear before i kind of disabled it to the point where it says connect to itunes to unlock it but it wouldnt work because ive never used this phone before and never synced it to this computer so i was freaking out a bit... :\

Mar 18, 2015 3:15 PM in response to rockersxx

reckersxx, so you have a busted iphone 4 and 5s? Even though these both are out of warantty you may still be able to get one or both replaced for the out of warranty fee. That fee is still far less than a completely new iPhone, so maybe just take them to Apple and ask what is the best deal you can exchange one for a factory refurb unit? Them restore from backup and be on your way.

Mar 18, 2015 7:03 PM in response to Michael Black

thats okay:) i managed to get my sisters computer (the one she synced the phone with) and unlock it that way. i reset it and now its all good. thanks for the suggestion though. also, i have one broken phone and the 4 is my sister's. i thought it would work to use it for now and yes it was a bit complicated to get it working but eventually got it.

how to reset my iphone 4 with broken home button and forgotten passcode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.