Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I use Mac OS X Server to create Mac logins?

Hello,

I'm new to Mac OS X server, I have some Mac computers on a network and what I want to be able to do is to use Mac Server to create and manage logins for the Mac; i.e. like how a business would create logins for new employees; I've followed a YouTube tutorial and set up Open Directory without any visible problems, I've created a test user in the Users tab; however- when I log out and then login to my Mac; there is nothing displayed that will allow me to login with the credentials of the newly created user. I'm using Mac OS X Server 4.0.3 on the operating system OS X Yosemite 10.10.2, any advice would really be appreciated.

Thanks.

MacBook Pro, OS X Server

Posted on Mar 18, 2015 4:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 18, 2015 5:24 AM

You have started out well. However, a dependency of OD is DNS. You want to make sure that you have DNS sorted out before rolling out OD.

That done, the next step is binding your workstations. Much like a Windows workstation is bound to AD, so too must a Mac be bound to the OD Server. To do this, you can use System Preferences > Users & Groups > Login Options > Network Account Server > Join... The items that you should be entering is the fully qualified host name of the OD server and the diradmin credentials you created when you promoted the server to an OD Master.

Ah, but now the real trick. Once the machine is bound, you need to tell it to manage the user as a mobile account. There are two ways to do this. The first is the define a Configuration Profile. If you go this route you need to also enroll the devices into the configuration profile service. That will allow the push of configurations to the device.

The second option is to use the deprecated MCX. To do this, you will need to download Workgroup Manager and set MCX policy for your devices using the Mobility payload.

Reid

Apple Consultants Network

Author "Yosemite Server – Foundation Services" :: Exclusively available in Apple's iBooks Store

Author "Mavericks Server – Foundation Services" :: Exclusively available in Apple's iBooks Store

Author "Mavericks Server – Control and Collaboration" :: Exclusively available in Apple's iBooks Store

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 18, 2015 5:24 AM in response to redcarrot

You have started out well. However, a dependency of OD is DNS. You want to make sure that you have DNS sorted out before rolling out OD.

That done, the next step is binding your workstations. Much like a Windows workstation is bound to AD, so too must a Mac be bound to the OD Server. To do this, you can use System Preferences > Users & Groups > Login Options > Network Account Server > Join... The items that you should be entering is the fully qualified host name of the OD server and the diradmin credentials you created when you promoted the server to an OD Master.

Ah, but now the real trick. Once the machine is bound, you need to tell it to manage the user as a mobile account. There are two ways to do this. The first is the define a Configuration Profile. If you go this route you need to also enroll the devices into the configuration profile service. That will allow the push of configurations to the device.

The second option is to use the deprecated MCX. To do this, you will need to download Workgroup Manager and set MCX policy for your devices using the Mobility payload.

Reid

Apple Consultants Network

Author "Yosemite Server – Foundation Services" :: Exclusively available in Apple's iBooks Store

Author "Mavericks Server – Foundation Services" :: Exclusively available in Apple's iBooks Store

Author "Mavericks Server – Control and Collaboration" :: Exclusively available in Apple's iBooks Store

How do I use Mac OS X Server to create Mac logins?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.