Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Final Cut Pro 7 Setup/workflow

Hello there,

I work at a small company and we are starting to build large amount of raw tape and capture scratch data. I am writing to learn about best practices, procedures, and troubleshooting techniques. We have two editors who both work off Macs on a 1 gig Ethernet network using Final Cut Pro 7. The data lives on a remote storage device, synology volume. They are currently connecting to the device using AFP and creating projects over the network.

Mac Devices:

iMac 27 OSX 10.9.5

16GB RAM

512 SSD

Synology:

4x1 gig E bonded

40 TB usable

Small Project :

Raw Data: approximately 13GB

Capture Scratch: approximately 15GB

Final Cut 7 project file: 170KB

Large Project :

Raw Data: approximately 135GB

Capture Scratch: approximately 345GB

Final Cut 7 project file: 11MB

The two editors are experiencing different level of lags and poor editing experience. The editors work off the remote volumes, they don't move the data (capture scratches) to their local drives when they are working on these projects.

I have a number of questions about to how approach this:

1. What are best practices for setting up -editor machines/volumes/etc?

2. What transfer/mount protocols should they use AFP/SMB/NFS ?

3. What software can I use to get benchmarks for read/write to the remote volumes ?

4. If we went to a 10Gig E network switch, should we upgrade the nic cards on the iMacs? should we use Fiber optic ? copper?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Media@relay

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Mar 18, 2015 7:00 AM

2 replies

Mar 18, 2015 7:28 AM in response to Media@Relay

Is this Synology volume rated for the high demands of video playback? Most generic servers companies employ for data isn't up to the rigors and speeds needed for video editing, especially two stations needing to access video at the same time. If you plan on having a server for video, you need to make sure it's fast enough for video work.

Both of those projects really have very little video data. Get 1TB drives for both stations and work off the media on them. FW800 at least...no USB2. USB3 is fine, if the computers have USB 3 connections. Thunderbolt is best, if they have those connections.

Final Cut Pro 7 Setup/workflow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.