Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

8.2 update random shutdown

Hello, I have a iPhone 5 and upgraded to 8.2 recently. Since then, my phone randomly shuts down when using an app or even scrolling through apps on the main screen. My only solution is to plug in phone to a charger to get it to reboot. What's odd is during the reboot when first plugged in, it displays that my battery is dead. However, once the phone finishes start-up, my battery indicator is back to the level it previously was before the shutdown. I've done a complete wipe and restore and still have the issue.

iPhone 5, iOS 8.2, Verizon Carrier

Posted on Mar 18, 2015 8:44 AM

3 replies

Mar 18, 2015 9:50 AM in response to ebakercash

I've been having severe battery drainage issues myself since 8.2. I just downgraded back to iOS 8.1.3 and seeing how it goes. In order to do that you need to download the 8.1.3 IPSW file for your phone model (see link below)

https://ipsw.me/8.1.3

Open iTunes

Then put your phone into DFU mode (see link below)

http://www.iphonehacks.com/put-iphone-in-dfu-mode

After following instructions on DFU mode, iTunes will show you are in Recovery mode. Hold the SHIFT key while clicking the RESTORE button. This will allow you to point itunes to the 8.1.3 ipsw file you downloaded previously.

It should then downgrade you to 8.1.3.

Mar 18, 2015 4:47 PM in response to ebakercash

Yes, my phone has had the exact same issue now. It was working flawlessly before the 8.2 upgrade, but now it shuts down randomly. Sometimes it will go an hour, other times a couple hours. Doing the hard boot Power+Home button will get it to wake back up without having to use a charger. Apple Genius wanted me to do a total wipe/restore, which I did, but the problem has only gotten worse. 2 months short of being eligible for upgrade!

8.2 update random shutdown

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.