Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a stone cold dead iPad 2; need advice.

An instructor brought a refurbished iPad 2 to me because it wouldn't take a charge. It was "alive" when it came to me. I put it on charge but after about 4% more charge being taken, it would stop taking charge. I examined the Settings and Notifications and couldn't find anything obviously wrong. I decided to leave it on charge overnight to see if it would start charging again. The next day it was completely dead.

My question is actually quite simple: What do I try next? I wouldn't be posting this message if it was a computer, either Windows or Mac. I know things to try with those operating systems. I am much less familiar with iOS so any help would be appreciated. Thanks

iPad 2, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Mar 18, 2015 6:56 AM

5 replies

Mar 18, 2015 1:54 PM in response to Technician7

it's possible the Power Manager has gone insane - I've seen this issue in some of our iPads. The usual solution is to do exactly what was listed above - hold down both buttons for 20 seconds [or 3 eons, because that's how long it feels like].

BUT, if the battery is dead, that's not going to help. Leave it plugged in for a couple of days and see if it will pick up ANY power - THEN do the reset.

Mar 19, 2015 10:37 AM in response to Technician7

Hi Technician7,

I had a user bring an iPad to me yesterday with very similar symptoms. It was "dead" by the time it got to me, even though it had been plugged in for a long time. I plugged it in to power with a known good cable and known good power brick for an hour or two at my desk. I then tried the reset (holding power AND home button for about 15 seconds) while it was plugged in to power and it booted up. The battery was still very low, but after that it started to charge up.

Hope this helps!

~Joe

I have a stone cold dead iPad 2; need advice.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.