Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Encircled exclamation points pop up randomly ON iPod when attached to iTunes

This has been happening ever since I updated iTunes a few weeks ago and its so insanely stressful.

I know the encircled exclamation point means iTunes can't find the original file location apparently.

But why would it need to do that for my iPod when its.... ON my iPod.

Anyway, I set the preferences to search in my downloads where all my music is and goes to.

Yet, when my iPod is plugged in.... at random suddenly all my songs go from being able to be played to having the encircled exclamation point next to them.

Is there any way to fix and/or prevent this ?

Apple is so frustrating....once this iPod inevitably dies I think I have to move on from Apple.

Thank you for any help provided.

I have the most recent iTunes, Yosemite and an Itouch 5th gen on the most recent software update (just updated last night)

iPod touch, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 18, 2015 8:57 AM

3 replies

Mar 18, 2015 9:00 AM in response to Cwatk003

Sometimes this works but sometimes yo have to wate for an iTunes update

Try:

- Reset the iOS device. Nothing will be lost

Reset iOS device: Hold down the On/Off button and the Home button at the same time for at

least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appears.

- Unsync/delete all music and resync

To delete all music go to Settings>General>Usage>Storage>Manage Storage>Music>Tap edit in upper right and then tap the minus sign by All Music

- Reset all settings

Go to Settings > General > Reset and tap Reset All Settings.

All your preferences and settings are reset. Information (such as contacts and calendars) and media (such as songs and videos) aren’t affected.

- Restore from backup. See:

iOS: Back up and restore your iOS device with iCloud or iTunes

- Restore to factory settings/new iOS device.

Mar 18, 2015 3:35 PM in response to lllaass

Hi lllaass,

I am having the exact same issue. Purchased a new iTouch 5, updated software. Attempted to use a backup from my iTouch Gen 2 so that I can go on my merry way.

Well the syncing didn't work. I decided to take the time to manually load the music to the iTouch 5. It took a while. I found that many of my songs did not sync properly or lost sync. I did this twice. After doing it the last time I backed the itouch up. It held my music until I loaded a couple more albums. Now I have the new music, but all of the old is now "missing" (although I can still see it on my itouch through itunes - but with the circled exclamation).

So very frustrating. I am thinking about returning the itouch 5 and just keeping on with the 2.

What is happening here? Thank you in advance.

Encircled exclamation points pop up randomly ON iPod when attached to iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.