Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I replace the MacBook PRAM battery?

The MacBook loses the date/time and wifi information. How do I replace the PRAM battery? I saw a post that addressed the MacBook Pro, but this is not a Pro.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Mar 18, 2015 1:36 PM

9 replies

Mar 19, 2015 7:22 AM in response to cherylfromplano

So, in just searching in the 2007 I have taken apart here the "backup" battery is in blue shrink wrap on a pigtail and is underneath the optical drive at the back.

In the 2006 the backup battery looks the same but the pigtail is smaller and it's under the logic board. (Whee!)

That's like the old PowerBooks.

In the 2008-9 it seems to have disappeared (I have no examples in my parts stock). If it was like the old iBooks, there was a super capacitor that took over the function of the backup battery/PRAM battery. It was soldered to the logic board and would only hold settings for a small amount of time. I seem to remember 30 seconds but don't hold me to that. It held those settings, time and date in particular, while you changed the battery but you had to be quick, otherwise settings were lost.

Mar 19, 2015 7:47 AM in response to cherylfromplano

This is a 2.26 GHz (A1342) MacBook Unibody 13", Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X 10.6.8. I looked on ifixit.com and don't see a PRAM battery or repair instructions. I removed the rear cover and don't see anything like a PRAM battery, so it must be under something. Does anyone know where I should look first? I note that Apple used some three-point screws on some of the items so I will need some new tools, I suppose.

If there is a way to keep the date/time and wireless keys from being lost when powered down besides replacing the PRAM battery, let me know. Thanks!

Mar 19, 2015 8:10 AM in response to cherylfromplano

cherylfromplano wrote:

If there is a way to keep the date/time and wireless keys from being lost when powered down besides replacing the PRAM battery, let me know. Thanks!

Every time you disconnect the internal battery, the time/date will perform a default setting and you will have to reset it to thr current date/

I suspect that your Macbook does NOT have a Pram battery. Call OWC technical support for definitive details or make an appointment at an Apple store genius bar.

Ciao.

Mar 19, 2015 9:40 AM in response to cherylfromplano

I do not know how long you can go with power removed from your macbook. As in no battery or power cord. But if you have one or both connected and the battery is healthy, you should not lose your date and time or wifi settings. You could try a pram reset and the SMC reset to see it it helps. For pram it is: Command/Option/P/R keys for three chimes at starup. For SMC reset. With battery and mag safe connected before startup: Command/ Option/Shift key and power button for 10 seconds. If you still have the same problem in that after powering off you lose the settings. You may need to take it in and have it looked at. An active wifi will keep you date and time automatically.

Mar 19, 2015 10:46 AM in response to cherylfromplano

"This is a 2.26 GHz (A1342) MacBook Unibody 13", Core 2 Duo"

So that makes it a late 2009 Unibody.

It seems the "backup battery" as it was called early 2008 and earlier, disappears in the late 2008 Aluminum Unibody.

Other sources call it the PRAM battery and that's what iFixIt called it.

This is from:

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Core+2+Duo+PRAM+Battery+Replacement/529

"The time and date, as well as other settings, are kept by the PRAM battery when your machine is off. The PRAM battery on early 2009 MacBooks is non-replaceable."

Here's a discussion from 2011:

Does the 2008 Aluminum Unibody MacBook (A1278) have a PRAM (CMOS) battery?

and another from 2013:

PRAM/CMOS battery?? Quick tip and question!

and also:

https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/115589/PRAM+battery,+can+I+replace+it+myself

Some on these posts have concluded that the PRAM/CMOS/BackUp battery was eliminated in the late 2008 Unibody.

So no PRAM/CMOS/SMC/Backup battery in your MacBook. At least not one that's user serviceable.

Bummer!

How do I replace the MacBook PRAM battery?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.