Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time machine drive running

My Time Machine HD runs constantly. Is this normal? I thought it runs only during a backup. What is is supposed to do?

Running constantly causes early failure. Second drive failure - bearings start getting noisy so I replace drive.

If is is normal to run constantly, how do I get comment to Apple to investigate initiating drive shutdown between backups?

If possible, please respond directly to me in addition to answering to the forum.

Thanks,

Lee Walkowski

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.2)

Posted on Mar 18, 2015 12:01 PM

6 replies

Mar 19, 2015 4:55 PM in response to lawalkowski

What you describe is not normal.

Most hard disk drives are controlled by their own firmware, which is usually not something you can control. What model HD is the one you're using, and how is it connected?

If possible,

Not possible without providing alternate means of contacting you, which I do not recommend providing if you don't want to be inundated with spam. This site's Hosts will generally delete personal information, in accordance with the TOU (2.11).

Apr 20, 2015 5:40 PM in response to John Galt

Just realized I did not answer the second part of your question.

I have the MiniStack HD connected via FireWire 800 to my iMac, 2 ports available. It has 3 ports for USB 2 also, 2 standard flat type and 1 of the more square type..

This drive is self powered.

I want ot connect to my smart UPS so that when I shut down the computer, the power is also shut down to the HD so it is not there spinning away 24/7 whether the computer is on or not.

Apr 20, 2015 9:08 PM in response to lawalkowski

A "smart UPS", if it's the kind I'm familiar with, will shut off power to controlled receptacles when the "master" receptacle senses no load, or a very small load. When the Mac is shut down their power is removed. That ought to work for your purposes.

If you purchased the Newer Technology drive from OWC, contact OWC's technical support. They may be able to confirm whether its behaviour is normal, or not. It really should spin down when not in use. Keeping them spinning when you want them to is a bigger annoyance.

Apr 20, 2015 9:08 PM in response to John Galt

The UPS is new and works as you said. That is what prompted my inquiry.

Before I had this UPS I had the BU drive plugged into my Mac. I got the impression that it was always spinning. Then I think I found that it was spinning even when the computer was shut down. Power was always to the BU drive.

When I got the UPS I plugged the BU drive into the controlled receptacle but was concerned whether having the UPS "pull the plug" on the BU drive instead of shutting it down with the power switch was OK. Was it akin to pulling the plug on a running computer? All sorts of scenarios became possible in my mind. That's why I first asked if connecting the BU drive directly to the Mac, would it automatically shut down when the Mac was shut down. No one would answer.

My latest response (not in this forum) was, buy the Apple AirPort Time Capsule and be done with it. Well, I already have/ had the external HD and a wireless router. Now that my HD is failing, maybe I should look into it. They are expensive though.

My questions largely remain unanswered.

Apr 20, 2015 10:36 PM in response to lawalkowski

That's why I first asked if connecting the BU drive directly to the Mac, would it automatically shut down when the Mac was shut down.

Yes. An orderly shutdown will unmount the backup drive first. Then, when the UPS senses the Mac is no longer drawing power, it will remove power to the backup drive. The effect is identical to using the drive's power switch. All mounted volumes are unmounted during shutdown.

My latest response (not in this forum) was, buy the Apple AirPort Time Capsule and be done with it.

Not necessary, especially for a desktop Mac that can have devices wired to it all the time without adding any inconvenience. External USB hard disk drives are cheap and disposable — two attractive requirements for a backup device. The same can't be said of a Time Capsule. Speed isn't important for Time Machine.

Time machine drive running

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.