Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos App Uploading Stuck

Hello,

As part of the public beta program, I am using OS X 10.10.3 with the new Photos app.

Everything works well for the most part, but all my photos are not getting uploaded to the iCloud Photo Library. The app has reported the message 'Uploading 7,410 items" for days now and seems stuck. Sometimes, the message randomly changes to 'Adding 4,200 items" and then back again.

Questions:

1. Is anyone experiencing something similar?

2. If so, has any fix been found?

I know we're dealing with beta software here, but one assumes that if Apple wants us to test the iCloud Photo Library, they have to let us upload our photos first!

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 18, 2015 10:22 AM

28 replies

Mar 19, 2015 5:17 AM in response to ibnabouna

I have exactly the same problem. 😟

After installing the first public beta of 10.10.3 (14D87p) I opened Photos App and everything started to sync. I have fairly large library (21000+ photos, 1000+ videos), but also very fast internet – everything seemed to progress nicely. Until it reached “Uploading 846 items” and it stuck there. The next day I realised it's really stuck, so I tried Photos App “repair library” option. Now it seems there is even bigger mess – the Mac App shows it's again “Uploading 21849 items”, but nothing happens. Sometimes the number of times jump ap and down in a range of couple of thousands. Sometimes it says "Preparing X items". Currently it's stuck at “Uploading 22148 items”.

I decided to simply wait (for either problem resolving itself or some future beta resolving it). Unfortunately, almost 3 weeks and one more beta (14D105g) later – nothing is resolved. The photo upload is stuck, no new photos from iPhone or iPad appear on my Mac (note – sync between iPhone and iPad does work).

I will use the Feedback Assistant tool and try to report this all. But I just want some advice – what to do next? Restore from backup? Wait for some future versions? Maybe there IS something I can do about this right now?

PS - the problems absolutely is not ISP related – I have 400Mbit/s up/down fiber optics unlimited connection.

PPS - and it's also not an issue with iCloud space - even before installing the beta I already subscribed to 500GB iCloud plan.

Mar 19, 2015 9:02 AM in response to @OpenStudioLV

second @openstudioLV - i had a problem with faces, so i repaired library. fixed faces problem, now it says uploading 8051 files (my entire library). so far i haven't seen mine jump around at all, but i'm sure it will. the progress bar isn't showing anything. i'm trying to just leave it running all day and see if it goes through eventually, as maybe it's just a bug with the progress reporting. @openstudioLV - i guess you just posted this morning, but have you had any luck yet?

i also don't have an isp problem - it's not as fast as open studio's, but it's up ther. and anyway, i had the whole library synced before i repaired to fix the problem with faces. and i also have like 150 free GB of space on icloud drive.

Mar 21, 2015 10:32 PM in response to Mike in Kansas

Thank you for all your responses. It's good to know that I am not alone in this.

Something far worse happened to me recently with the Photos app. I noticed in System Preferences > iCloud > Photos, there was an option to "Delete and Disable" iCloud Photo Library (hereinafter "IPL") completely. It sounded to me like this would delete all of my photos from IPL so that I could get a clean start and retry the upload from my pristine Photos app library.

Lo and behold, when I did that, IPL somehow sent a signal to Photos that all of my photos needed to be downloaded, so it duplicated literally thousands of photos in a library that I had carefully pruned in Aperture throughout the years. Not only that, but it deleted half of my library! It went from 130 GB to 62 GB in a matter of minutes with no warning, confirmation, or even an informational dialog box. What a disaster this iCloud Photo Library has proven to be.

Thank God, I have a good backup plan and everything can be restored, but I've learned my lesson and have come to the following conclusions:

1. iCloud Photo Library is a disaster in its current state. This beta is not ready for public testing.

2. The best way (at least for me) to use Photos app now, is to turn off iCloud Photo Library, but keep the option for the Photo Stream on. That option automatically feeds all new photos from my iOS devices into Photos, which is almost perfect. Unfortunately, Photo Stream does not support videos, however. So, for videos, I simply connect my iPhone and Photos app does a good job of recognizing all of the new videos that need to be imported. With this setup, I can benefit from the Photos app, get all of my new photos and videos imported, and avoid the hassle that is known as the iCloud Photo Library.

I hope this experience helps someone in the future.

Mar 23, 2015 6:52 AM in response to ibnabouna

I have the exact same problem, started out with faces disappeared after the latest Beta install, I repaired the library and it fixed the problem, now Photos is stuck in uploading.

I have been going mad trying to solve this problem, I have been using feedback assistant too so I hope this problem is being solved soon, I'm glad to see i'm not the only one with this problem :-)

Mar 31, 2015 3:37 AM in response to ibnabouna

Hi everyone! Just a quick progress update:

On March 23rd I installed the third public beta (14D113c). It seemed to help and finally upload started to move in the right direction (numbers still jumped around, but decreased). Soon it reached "Uploading 837 Items" and now again it's totally stuck there. It's been stuck now for entire week.

Today Apple has released 4th public beta (14D127a). I'm currently downloading it now. Will report back, if it finally resolves this nightmare or not...

Mar 31, 2015 7:19 AM in response to @OpenStudioLV

ah sorry i should've updated sooner. so, with the 3rd beta, i actually was able to get the problem fixed entirely. when i first got it, i once again disabled icloud photos on my phone and turned off and then on icloud photos on osx. it then began progressing apparently as normal. the only confounding factor is about halfway through that process i decided to do a clean install of osx from bootable drive (for other reasons)...and once i got through that and got current again, photos osx went through without a hitch and then i turned it back on my phone and all seems to be working now.

though, while it appeared to be working even before the clean install, i supose there's a chance it would've stalled as it did for @openstudiolv...so it may not have been the update alone that helped.

Apr 9, 2015 2:18 AM in response to ibnabouna

Final (hopefully) update:

Even after the public release of finished 10.10.3, my Photos library is still messed up and upload is stuck at 837.

After some thinking I decided to do following:

1) with holding ALT when opening Photos, create a blank new Photos library (system library)

2) sync it with the online iCloud Photos library (because most of the photos, except those stuck 837, are already uploaded and sync well between iPhone & iPad)

I did that and now everything works really well. All photos are in perfect sync between my Mac, iPhone and iPad. Whenever I add a new photo, edit or delete - the changes sync beautifully across all my devices.

The only problem - I'm still missing those 837 photos from the old iPhoto/Photos library and I don't know exactly which. With using smart folders I have narrowed down the problematic time period (all those photos are from about 10 years ago, pre-iPhone). I will now try to manually export them from the old library and then re-import in the newly created (and working) library. I really hope this will be the end of this nightmare. 🙂

When I will be 100% sure that I have everything in iCloud, I plan to do a clean re-install of OS X on my Mac and start a fresh "new life". 🙂

Photos App Uploading Stuck

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.