Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Flashing file folder with question mark

Hello,

i have a mid-2010, 15"' MacBook Pro running Yosemite. Also, about two months ago, I replaced the two, 2 GB memory modules with two 4GB modules. Just in the past week the laptop has been acting very sluggish; login won't complete; and today, when first booting it up, I got a gray screen with a flashing "question mark" file folder. I've NEVER seen this before. In all the years I've been an Apple fan and user, I've never experienced a moments trouble.

In searching for other questions similar to mine, I read to restart in Safe Mode, select Disk Utility, then run Disk Repair on the Macintosh HD volume; exit Disk Utility, and restart from the Apple menu in regular mode. These steps worked however, once the laptop began restarting, it took at least 10 minutes to get to the desktop.

I am considering backing up critical files and wiping the hard drive clean or restoring it to factory. I don't know if this is necessary or if it would rid the system of whatever it is that's causing these issues. Also, I've not ever done this before so I don't know what issues I may encounter, or exactly what steps to take to accomplish this. If such drastic measures are not necessary, suggestions as to what I can do to correct these issues are appreciated.

Suggestions are welcomed. Thanks in advance.

Posted on Mar 18, 2015 11:15 AM

5 replies

Mar 18, 2015 11:24 AM in response to Jaded212

That is a sign that the MBP cannot find the OSX. Usually is is a failing HDD or a faulty SATA connection cable/

Backup your data.

Then boot the MBP in the recovery partition and select Disk Utility from the 4 option menu.

Run Disk Utility>First Aid, Verify and Repair.

If the Disk cannot be repaired.

If the disk is OK, and the problem still persists, that points to the Cable.

Take out the HDD and connect it externally via USB in an enclosure.

If the MBP can be booted using Startup Manager, then the cable is probably faulty and should be replaced.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT1310

Ciao.

Flashing file folder with question mark

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.