Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Air is disabled...did recovery steps...keeps asking me to enter passcode...but I can't

I have done every step for the recovery mode over and over, tried different ways, everything. I don't get the plug logo with the iTunes logo, all I get is the iPad is disabled, connect to iTunes. When it connects to iTunes it asks me for my passcode, but there is nowhere for me to enter my passcode. Please advise!

iPad Air

Posted on Mar 18, 2015 3:36 PM

15 replies

Mar 18, 2015 4:03 PM in response to venus123678

Were you able to try this?

Find My iPhone

If you enabled Find My iPhone through iCloud, you can use it to erase your device.

1. Go to icloud.com/#find.
  2. If prompted, sign in with your iCloud Apple ID.
  3. Click All Devices at the top of your browser window.
  4. Select the device you want to erase.
  5. Click "Erase [device]" to erase your device and its passcode.
  6. Use the Setup Assistant on your device to restore the most recent backup.

Mar 18, 2015 7:11 PM in response to venus123678

Go back to the support document that you linked here from and use the path for Recovery Mode.

Recovery mode

If you've never synced your device with iTunes, or haven't set up Find My iPhone, you'll need to put your device in recovery mode. Then you'll restore your device as new or from a backup.

This will erase the device and its passcode.

1. Disconnect all cables from your device.
  2. Hold down the Sleep/Wake button, then "slide to power off" to turn off your device.
  3. Press and hold the Home button and plug the device into your computer. If your device doesn't turn on automatically, turn it on. Don't release the Home button.
  4. Continue holding the Home button until you see the Connect to iTunes screen.

User uploaded file

5. If iTunes doesn't open automatically, open it. iTunes will alert you that it has detected a device in recovery mode.

6. Click OK. Then restore the device.

If your device doesn't go into recovery mode, try steps 1–4 again.

Mar 18, 2015 7:23 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

This is the recovery mode that I tried over and over. 😟 I'm not even getting the same logos. After I power it off, hold down the home button and plug the cord in at the same time, it just goes back to the same screen that says "iPad is disabled, connect to iTunes." My iTunes comes up on my computer and it asks me for my passcode but I can't type it in on my iPad because it's disabled.

Mar 23, 2015 7:58 AM in response to Ivy1972

I am having the same problem. Every time I try the recovery mode, I get the same message and a request for a passcode. I have tried the recovery about 20 times on 2 different computers. I took the Ipad to local Apple place and they told me they would have done the same thing I did and told me to come to blog for help. I also tried to disable the ipad from the cloud, but the ipad is offline. Any ideas or is this a glitch in the software

Mar 27, 2015 12:13 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

I have tried all the methods . None will work for me. My Icloud account now says device is waiting to be erased , since yesterday at 4pm. how is my IPad ever going to erase, when it needs to be connected to the internet to do so, and I can"t connect to the internet unless I can open my Ipad ? When I try the Itunes method Itunes tells me it can't recognize my device because it is locked out and I need to enter my password. The problem is I do not remember my password, and the screen is not showing the log in page, it just shows the "Ipad is disabled and under that connect to ITunes. I can read the directions on the support page. The problem is not one of the 3 methods listed will work. Frustrating to say the least.

iPad Air is disabled...did recovery steps...keeps asking me to enter passcode...but I can't

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.