Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Duplicate account error; account isn't in the Accounts tab. What do I do?

Basically, I tried adding a gmail account. Once the process finished, the panel closed but nothing happened. The account was not added to the accounts tab... Now if I try to add it again, it tells me that the account is a duplicate. I think Mail thinks that the account is there, but I just can't see it. Maybe in a settings file somewhere?

Any ideas?

Posted on Mar 18, 2015 4:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 18, 2015 4:35 PM

What accounts tab are you looking in? Mail preferences or internet accounts in system preferences? Check both places. If it is in Internet Accounts, make sure the mail checkbox is checked.

8 replies

Apr 20, 2015 10:47 AM in response to Glenn Leblanc

Glenn,

I have a similar problem, but the solution below didn't fix it.

I removed my google account from internet accounts, and also ensured it wasn't on mail accounts. Then I re-added my google account in internet accounts, It went through the steps, check all boxes for Mail, Calendar, Notes, etc. then when I hit ok, two error messages came up. One said "there is a problem setting up your Mail account. Unknown error occurred." Then the same with notes "there is a problem setting up your Notes account. Unknown error occurred."

When I go into mail now and try to turn it on or add it, it says "duplicate account". When I try to click back on the box for Mail in the internet settings to activate it, it just spools endlessly.

Apr 20, 2015 10:59 AM in response to wendellgee28

It could be caused by different things. I would remove the account from mail accounts, and check the Internet Account pane and remove it there also.

Quit Mail. Open Disk Utility and repair permissions on your boot volume.

Open KeyChain and use Keychain First Aid to verify and repair your keychain. Also search for all passwords for that account and delete them from Keychain.

Restart the computer and try adding the account back. After entering the information on the first screen, hold the Option key down when you hit continue which will bring up more options for adding an account. Fill in the appropriate information.

Jul 13, 2015 4:36 PM in response to Bob Sabiston

Have you read the whole thread and followed the other advise given to the others in my second post? I don't know what else to say on this. If you've tried everything listed here with no fix, you might want to just post a new discussion. Explain your problem and what you've done so far to fix it. Others looking to help will more likely view and help in an unsolved thread.

Duplicate account error; account isn't in the Accounts tab. What do I do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.