Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone syncs wrong artist

Strange issue I came across, I just switched laptops, I had all my music saved onto a USB. Downloaded iTunes on my new laptop and added all my music back into my phone. I'm not even sure if that is relevant to the cause cause it's been happening to my purchased music also. It's not as much of wrong artist, it's more of the that it'll glue onto one artist for the album and stick with that. I am one of those who tamper with the tags, I like to add all the "feat. this and that" into the artist and not have it on the title. I edit that stuff in iTunes though. The issue doesn't show on iTunes, it shows on the music app on my phone. Okay so here's an example:

I'll use this as an example: Childish Gambino - The Palisades (feat. Christian Rich) [which I purchased this song and some of the songs too from the album]

so it'll be like this:

Title: The Palisades (feat. Christian Rich)
Artist: Childish Gambino

Album: Kauai

Album Artist: Childish Gambino

where the artist is just Childish Gambino, I'll go onto iTunes and right click on the song, click 'Get Info" and change it to like this:

Title: The Palisades
Artist: Childish Gambino ft. Christian Rich

Album: Kauai
Album Artist: Childish Gambino

And sync the song into my iPhone, and then this is where the issue appears. The title and artist changes but also changes the artist for every song from the artist for example, a song like Retro that's by him also, no features. On the music app it'll show "ft. Christian Rich" on that song also and every other song from Childish Gambino. I've tried everything from re-syncing every song to deleting it and re-adding it to re-install iTunes, to even cleaning my iPhone with AVG. I am about to try restoring my phone and backing it up to see if that does anything.

iPhone 6, iOS 8.2

Posted on Mar 18, 2015 5:55 PM

8 replies

Mar 31, 2015 2:29 PM in response to vinnyy

This is happening to me too - it's really annoying. For me it's mixing up artist fields between different albums e.g. Alicia Keys & Jack White's Another Way To Die (a single) is showing as being by Alicia Keys & Maxwell - a collaboration from her Girl on Fire album!

All tracks on Calvin Harris' Motion album are showing as being by Calvin Harris feat. Gwen Stefani despite her only featuring on one track! It's definitely a sync issue as it's all fine and correct on my iTunes on Macbook, but just goes a bit haywire on my iPhone 6.

Apr 5, 2015 11:13 AM in response to vinnyy

Exact same issue here. Every track by deadmau5 shows as deadmau5 featuring Wolfgang Gartner, every track by Britney Spears shows as Britney Spears featuring Sabi, etc. Extremely annoying problem that only seems to have started happening in the last couple months, since I have put the "feat. ____" in the artist field rather than song title field for as long as I can remember.

Apr 6, 2015 3:44 AM in response to spencerr24

For me, changing the 'artist' field to include featured artists rather than have them bracketed in a song title is not a new thing - I started to do this years back when the 'album artist' field was introduced. The glitch, however, is a recent thing. At first I thought it was only doing it on iTunes purchased content, but it's doing it tracks ripped from CDs too.

May 5, 2015 7:56 AM in response to vinnyy

I have found a way to fix this! It is a bit of a pain, but since this is only happening for iTunes Store purchased tracks, the problem goes away if you convert all of your purchased tracks to mp3 format.

To do this, I made a smart playlist with the criteria "Purchased = True" in order to get a listing of all iTunes Store-purchased music in my library. Then I highlighted the entire list, right clicked, and chose to create MP3 versions (note: this won't work for anything purchased before they removed DRM from purchased tracks, unfortunately). Then this leaves you with two copies of all of these songs, and you just need to delete the old copies of each one (this is the most annoying part).

Anyway, the end result for me was that the artist now displays correctly on my iPhone for all of the tracks that I previously had issues with.

iPhone syncs wrong artist

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.