Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

an unknown excel file has appeared on my desktop. It cannot be deleted and I cannot get any information about it. Is this malware? How can I get rid of it?

An unknown excel file has appeared on my desktop. It cannot be deleted and I cannot get any information about it.

Is this malware? How can I get rid of it?

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Mar 18, 2015 4:48 PM

3 replies

Mar 21, 2015 10:33 AM in response to DerLehr

Hello DerLehr,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

I see you have an Excel file that you are unable to delete. Here is a basic article describing how to delete files. I would take a look at this first and if you are still unable to delete the file, maybe you can reply back and we can try for a more specific answer.

OS X Yosemite: Delete files and folders

Cheers,

Jeff D.

Mar 23, 2015 9:44 AM in response to jeffd55

Hello Jeff,

Thanks very much for your reply. I looked over the article you mentioned, but I have tried all of these methods, but only get the response "The item “29394D00” can’t be moved to the Trash because it can’t be deleted." Similarly, I cannot Get Info on the file. This is why I'm so concerned, it just appeared on my desktop, but I cannot touch it, or open it or delete it...

If you have any more tricks up your sleeve, I'd love to hear about them...

Derek

an unknown excel file has appeared on my desktop. It cannot be deleted and I cannot get any information about it. Is this malware? How can I get rid of it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.