Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you use hdd as ram, and dont tell me to getter a better ram card, it doesn't answer my question.

How do you use hdd as ram, and i do get that hdd is not cheap to use ram, and that i should just get a better ram card, and that it is not expensive. I havn't seen a good post about it. I mean, Seroiusely, How do you use it as ram. I don't need people telling me to get a better ram card. It is not my question.

MacBook (13-inch Mid 2009), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Mar 18, 2015 8:25 PM

3 replies

Mar 18, 2015 8:28 PM in response to M_AND_STROKE

What the heck is your question? What you posted doesn't make any sense. HDD space isn't expensive relative to physical RAM.

About OS X Memory Management and Usage

Using Activity Monitor to read System Memory & determine how much RAM is used

OS X Mavericks- About Activity Monitor

Memory Management in Mac OS X

Performance Guidelines- Memory Management in Mac OS X

A detailed look at memory usage in OS X

Memory Usage Performance Guidelines- About the Virtual Memory System

Understanding top output in the Terminal

The amount of available RAM for applications is the sum of Free RAM and Inactive RAM. This will change as applications are opened and closed or change from active to inactive status. The Swap figure represents an estimate of the total amount of swap space required for VM if used, but does not necessarily indicate the actual size of the existing swap file. If you are really in need of more RAM that would be indicated by how frequently the system uses VM. If you open the Terminal and run the top command at the prompt you will find information reported on Pageins () and Pageouts (). Pageouts () is the important figure. If the value in the parentheses is 0 (zero) then OS X is not making instantaneous use of VM which means you have adequate physical RAM for the system with the applications you have loaded. If the figure in parentheses is running positive and your hard drive is constantly being used (thrashing) then you need more physical RAM.

Adding RAM only makes it possible to run more programs concurrently. It doesn't speed up the computer nor make games run faster. What it can do is prevent the system from having to use disk-based VM when it runs out of RAM because you are trying to run too many applications concurrently or using applications that are extremely RAM dependent. It will improve the performance of applications that run mostly in RAM or when loading programs.

Mar 18, 2015 8:44 PM in response to M_AND_STROKE

What frequency? None of the processor clock rates, memory bus speed, etc. can be changed. So, I'm not sure to what frequency you are referring.

VM will not increase memory speed or the overall speed of the computer. VM is a space allocation on a hard drive to which the system writes data or from which it reads data. The VM space is used because the computer has used up all the physical RAM. If the computer must now use a HDD instead of physical RAM for memory, then the computer will be slower overall. This is true for HDDs and SSDs because physical RAM is much faster than either. There is no speed advantage to using VM in place of physical RAM.

I don't know if this was what you wanted to know. I may be assuming all wrong.

How do you use hdd as ram, and dont tell me to getter a better ram card, it doesn't answer my question.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.