Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS X Yosemite - iPhoto v.9.6, library needs upgrade

Hi there,

My apologies if this Q has been answered before - I've failed to find a response in the relevant discussions:

I installed OS X Yosemite some months ago. Since then, every time I wish to open my iPhoto v.9.6, the following window pops-up:

"The photo library needs to be upgraded to work with this version of iPhoto"

"Your photo library will not be readable by previous versions of iPhoto after the upgrade. The upgrade process for very large libraries may take an hour or more to complete." "Quit" "Upgrade".

Every time I proceed "Upgrade" the computer takes 10 mins. to let me know that it's "examining my library", after 5 mins. iPhoto crashes and closes.

I've tried to use "option" + "command" and then click on iPhoto but even when I do so and I select any of the options available, the aforementioned window still shows up.

Note: I save my photos in my time capsule not in my imac.

Thanks in advance for any guidance you may be able to provide.

Regards, F

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), null

Posted on Mar 18, 2015 10:43 PM

10 replies

Mar 18, 2015 11:43 PM in response to Fvelasquez

Please post the first 50 lines of the crash report.

Note: I save my photos in my time capsule not in my imac.

Is the iPhoto library on the Time Capsule?

That is not supported. Network access to the iPhoto Library may result in library corruption and cause crashes.

See this link: iPhoto: Issues with FAT32-formatted drives

Additionally, storing the iPhoto library on a network rather than locally on your computer can also lead to poor performance or data loss.

iPhoto libraries should be stored on a locally mounted Mac OS X Extended drive for best performance.

Mar 19, 2015 12:21 AM in response to léonie

Thx Leonie,

Surprisingly, I just went to the crash reporter and there were no reports re: the iPhoto issue. This is the only report I found, which I not sure is related to the iPhoto issue:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>OSBuild</key>

<string>10.10.2:14C109</string>

<key>appRecords</key>

<array>

<array>

<string>AppRecord</string>

<string>DiskImageMounter</string>

<string>com.apple.DiskImageMounter</string>

<string>396</string>

<string>10.10.1</string>

<integer>7</integer>

<integer>0</integer>

<integer>1</integer>

<integer>0</integer>

<integer>0</integer>

<integer>0</integer>

<integer>0</integer>

<integer>0</integer>

</array>

<array>

<string>AppRecord</string>

<string>com.apple.ncplugin.weather</string>

<string>com.apple.ncplugin.weather</string>

<string>32.3</string>

<string>1.0</string>

As for the TimeCapsule indeed, I use it as an extended drive but I'm surprised it would be considered a FAT-32 formatted drive as this is an Apple device.

I asked the apple reps if I could use the TimeCapsule for such purpose and no one raised a concern. It's also surprising that I didn't have an issue with this prior to the upgrade to OS X Yosemite.

Having said the above, thank you for your help - if the TimeCapsule is indeed the issue, perhaps I can solve the issue by transferring the iphoto library to an OS extended hard drive.

Mar 19, 2015 12:40 AM in response to Fvelasquez

As for the TimeCapsule indeed, I use it as an extended drive but I'm surprised it would be considered a FAT-32 formatted drive as this is an Apple device.

TimeCapsule is not considered to be formatted FAT - the concern is the remote access and any file system different from the supported MacOS Extended (Journaled).

I linked to that particular document, because it is one of the few douments, where Apple states clearly the requirements for a disk, that can be used to store photo libraries (iPhoto Library, Aperture Library). Any disk, where you keep an iPhoto Library needs to be directly connected and formatted MacOS Extended (Journaled). See also: Use locally mounted Mac OS X Extended volumes for your Aperture library (Aperture and iPhoto are using the same libraries).

If you are using Time Capsule locally mounted and have the library on a partition formatted MacOS Extended (Journaled) it should work.

I asked the apple reps if I could use the TimeCapsule for such purpose and no one raised a concern. It's also surprising that I didn't have an issue with this prior to the upgrade to OS X Yosemite.

You can store all kinds of documents on a TimeCapsule, no problem, but your photo library is not a simple document. It is a package - a folder with many files and folders inside, that are linked by relational databases. If you access these databases over a network, the integrity of the databases cannot be guaranteed, because iPhoto does not support network access. And if the file system is not MacOS Extended (Journaled) the filenames may be ambiguous, causing broken links or data loss. these problems may go unnoticed for a long time, until i suddenly breaks, when you try to upgrade the library or photos cannot be found.

Mar 19, 2015 12:50 AM in response to Fvelasquez

if the TimeCapsule is indeed the issue, perhaps I can solve the issue by transferring the iphoto library to an OS extended hard drive.

You can see the file system, if you select the drive in the Finder and press the keys ⌘I. Then look at the "General" section of the Info panel.

Surprisingly, I just went to the crash reporter and there were no reports re: the iPhoto issue. This is the only report I found, which I not sure is related to the iPhoto issue:

after 5 mins. iPhoto crashes and closes.

Is there a panel with a "Report" button? Then press "Report".

Or launch the "Console" app (from Applications > Utilities) and look in the sidebar for User diagnostic Reports:

User uploaded file

One more check, to see, if you are having problems with a recent bug:

Select your iPhoto Library and right-click it or ctrl-click.

You will see the folders inside the iPhoto Library revealed in the Finder. Look at the names of the folders. Are there any folders with "Old" in the name? Old Masters, Old Previews, etc?

OS X Yosemite - iPhoto v.9.6, library needs upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.