Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari 8.0.4 windows not reopened

I had to sign out of iCloud on my Mac because iCloud Drive stopped syncing. Not sure if this is a coincidence, but after signing back in to iCloud Safari stopped saving open windows when I quit and relaunch. I updated to Safari 8.0.4 but that didn't help. I also deleted the Safari folder in ~/Library and replaced it with a backup but that didn't help either.

System Prefs/General has "close windows when quitting an app" disabled (and other apps are saving their windows.)

Any other ideas?

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Mar 18, 2015 8:04 PM

7 replies

Mar 18, 2015 10:25 PM in response to JMR

Back up all data before proceeding.

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

~/Library/Saved Application State/com.apple.Safari.savedState

Right-click or control-click the line and select

Services Reveal in Finder (or just Reveal)

from the contextual menu.* A folder should open with an item selected. Quit the application if it's running. Move the selected item to the Trash. Relaunch the application and test.

*If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar and paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V. You won't see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

Mar 22, 2015 8:19 AM in response to JMR

Also-I restored the Safari folder from a backup. When I open Safari windows aren't reopening but I can at least select Reopen All Windows From Last Session to reopen the windows.

But--that saved state seems to be frozen in time. If I have new windows open and quit Safari, when I select that menu item, it restores the windows that were in the backup and doesn't add any new windows that are open.

Safari 8.0.4 windows not reopened

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.