Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

timecapsule keeps assigning wrong ip

I have the 3TB timecapsule. It has a frustrating habit of trying to assign ip's that are outside of its own range. For example, I have the ip pool set to 192.168.1.x, and the timecapsule will usually go along with this until it randomly occasionally decides to assign an ip of 192.168.0.x. This happens with both macs and non-macs. It happened with windows laptops, apple ipads, Sony smart TV, and other devices. This is a problem with timecapsule, not all these devices. Should I reset the timecapsule? I have updated and it still has this problem. Very frustrating.

time capsule-OTHER

Posted on Mar 19, 2015 12:51 AM

12 replies

Mar 19, 2015 2:47 AM in response to ishahmael

Exactly which model TC is it.. Gen4 or Gen5??

It is very hard to see how it can happen.. but it is possible you have a double NAT in the network and the TC is swapping to the wrong setup.. or you have another DHCP server in the network.. some products setup wrongly eg a phone acting as tether device can start handing out IP addresses.

Test what happens when you turn off dhcp in the TC .. do clients still get IP in the other network.. if so they are getting them from somewhere else.. look at the full details of the IP they are getting.. particularly the DNS and gateway.. and compare it to the IP the TC is passing out.

Mar 19, 2015 3:20 AM in response to LaPastenague

Its a Gen4 Time Capsule. Also, I still think the problem is in the Time Capsule because the ip assignment is perfect except for the 3rd digit in the address. For instance, it should assign an ip of 192.168.1.27 but will give out 192.168.0.27. I don't think another interfering network device would be handing out the same last digit on the address.

Mar 19, 2015 4:30 AM in response to ishahmael

I have a number of Gen4 TC (as well as Gen5 AE which are the same) and I have never seen them do this.

So this problem does seem rather unique..

I need the full network setup..

What modem? and is it router.. and if so does it also use 192.168.0.x IP??

How is the TC setup? A screenshot of the setup will help.

Do you have double NAT?

I have to say I mistrust the TC when it is on 7.6.4 firmware.. so if you would like to try on 7.6.1 firmware.. that would be good.

I also mistrust using non-default IP address ranges.. there is something about the network in the airports that make them less reliable if you use anything other than 10.0.1.x

This shows up because when you use the Terminal app, natutil it shows the wrong IP on the apple routers..

Test this yourself.. see this post on the utility and how to use it.

Terminal command to check Apple router status. natutil

If you get no improvement.. offload dhcp to another router.. I find it is less than great and a cheap router running gargoyle firmware does a far superior job of handling the network routing needs.. the TC or other airports can still work fine in bridge or use static IP.

Jun 27, 2015 2:34 PM in response to dcunia

dcunia wrote:

I have the same problem (but in reverse...the assigned range is 192.168.0.x and it randomly assigns 192.168.1.x

I bought this Time Capsule when it was first released.

I am still looking for answers.

Which model is it.. do you mean the gen1 or you mean the gen5.

Gen5 does have issues with networking..

I need the full setup to help.. modem router and TC plus any other network gear.. describe the whole lot in detail with how they are connected.

As stated above .. using the TC off defaults is dodgy.. it can give strange results.

Jun 27, 2015 4:02 PM in response to LaPastenague

Sorry...I meant to indicate the Time Capsule AC (2TB) released in Mid 2013. It is attached to a Motorola SB6141 cable modem via ethernet cable. To the Time Capsule AC is attached via ethernet a Gen 1 Time Capsule (500GB) in Bridge Mode.

To restate, path = Internet -> SB6141 -> Time Capsule AC (2TB) DHCP and NAT -> Time Capsule Gen 1 (in Bridge Mode).

The main router (TC-2TB) is assigning 192.168.0.100 - 192.168.0.200 range via DHCP. Its LAN IP is 192.168.0.1 (with IP assigned by the Modem Router.)

The TC-500GB has a both an IP and a LAN IP of 192.168.0.10 and is in BRIDGE mode. It has an SSID which is different than that of the main router.

Some of the devices (for example two SONY BD players of recent vintage -- 2014 and 2013) properly streamed internet content this morning. These were connected to the TC-2TB SSID network. Then this afternoon, network error. When I ran the diagnostics on each machine, these showed there was a connection to the router but not the internet, and these now had the assigned IP in the 192.168.1.1xx group instead of the 0.1xx group, as would be proper for my network. The TC-2TB is set to keep the IP for 1 day only.

After trying all kinds of troubleshooting, including resetting of each player, without any change to the IP address in the 1.1xx range, I decided to manually assign the network address on each machine to 192.168.0.30 and .31 (respectively). Each BD player can now connect and stream internet content.

Since I have other devices displaying some similar issues (a Xbox for one example), I am hoping to find a solution which does not involved manually assigning IP to all such devices.

Any help/guidance would be greatly appreciated.

--d

Jun 27, 2015 7:58 PM in response to dcunia

It is attached to a Motorola SB6141 cable modem via ethernet cable.

This is a bad combo.. the Apple AC routers do not work reliably with this series cable modem.. you will have issues forevermore and nothing can fix it but replacement.

To the Time Capsule AC is attached via ethernet a Gen 1 Time Capsule (500GB) in Bridge Mode.

Swap around the Gen1 TC for the AC TC.. it works much better with the SB6141 although you may still need to back to 7.6.1 firmware.

Then this afternoon, network error. When I ran the diagnostics on each machine, these showed there was a connection to the router but not the internet, and these now had the assigned IP in the 192.168.1.1xx group instead of the 0.1xx group, as would be proper for my network. The TC-2TB is set to keep the IP for 1 day only.

Double check that.. because nothing should cause this.. unless there is another dhcp server in the network.. however the SB6141 can feed 192.168.100.x addresses into the network .. could that be causing a mix up.

I would much prefer you to move the gen1 to main router.. set it back to default and stick to default IP range.. ie 10.0.1.1 and bridge the Gen5 TC to it.. that will I think fix the issues.

If you still have issues.. replace the gen1 TC with another brand router.. I tend to recommend cheap end ones that I know are reliable and can use third party firmware.. eg Netgear WNDR3800.. or TP-Link WR1043NDv2 .. they are adequately fast.. and you can keep the Gen5 TC for wireless and TM backups.

Plenty of excellent models around if you want an all in one replacement.. but I better not say too much as my posts get deleted if I try and over help.. Just google gargoyle firmware.

Oct 12, 2015 8:36 PM in response to dcunia

I also have a gen5 TC v7.7.3 and SB6141. Initially all was well, my network is simple relative to yours - iPhone, iPad, iPadMini, iPod, MacBook, MacBook Pro, HP ENVY 4500 All In One -THEN I got a Pioneer VSX-45 and could not set it up. Apple support changed the mode from 'bridged' to DHCP and NAT and altered the IP selection range. After this I set up the Pioneer fine. However the HP printer now is lost and cannot connect. In addition Airport Utility has a status message: there is a problem "Double NAT" and that I need to change the router mode to bridged.

Apparently I am ****** one way or the other. Is there any more information about the SB6141 and TC5? Why wouldn't the Apple tech tell me about a problem with the SB6141 and then set up a configuration that generates error messages in the utility? I go to search for a different modem after talking with Apple again. Gack!

Oct 13, 2015 4:28 AM in response to flash65

SB6141 is a pure modem.. the TC should always be in router mode ie DHCP and NAT.. but when the connection fails it might well pick up a private IP from the SB6141 .. eg 192.168.100.x

Please check the IP you get.. if it is that IP range you can be sure there is an issue..

I would recommend you buy either another brand of modem.. I mentioned two reported to work well.. or buy a different router. eg TP-Link WR1043NDv2 these should only be around $50US.. and you can bridge the TC to it for both wireless and TM backups .. as long as the TC does not do the routing you are OK.

Oct 13, 2015 9:57 AM in response to LaPastenague

Thanks for the input. FYI- TC5 in DCHP and Nat TC5 in Bridged

All Apple devices are fine All Apple devices are fine

Pioneer Receiver is fine Pioneer receiver can't connect

HP Envy 4500 can't connect HP Envy 4500 is fine

Airport Utility: Double NAT error -

Change router mode

to bridged

So, I plan to stay in DCHP and Nat as I can still print via 'Direct Print', the printer's own network, although it is tedious to switch networks each time I print. But I don't print that much. I will contact HP to see what they say. There is some motivation for HP as I'm signed up for "Instant Ink" supply which requires that the printer have internet access in order for the service to work. If I can't get the printer to work, I'm inclined to wait a little bit and replace the printer, not the router or modem. My experience with HP stuff is that they don't play well with others. If I can't find a printer that works in the DCHP and Nat mode, I'll revisit your suggestion.

Again, thank you for the thoughts.

PS: When the Pioneer fails to connect in bridged mode I see 192.168.254.212 - this tells me nothing as we left my knowledge base a while back. also, after searching for modems the opinions I saw indicated that the SB6141 is the one to have. So I remain confused, apparently the most natural state.

timecapsule keeps assigning wrong ip

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.