Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to display clip duration in iMovie 10?

This must be a very basic task but I can't find out how to do it im iMovie 10.

I've imported a 10 minute video clip in to iMovie 10.

I want to cut a segment of the 10 minute clip from, say, 6:03 seconds in to the clip until 8:13 in to the clip and place this segment in to another project or just export it as a file.

I can't seem to find a way of doing this. There's no duration timer that would allow me to progress to 6:03, mark it and then progress to 8:13, mark that point and then copy.

There must be a way of doing this (I assume).

OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Mar 19, 2015 12:57 AM

13 replies

May 19, 2017 2:02 AM in response to Retty

The only way I can achieve it is to:

1. Drag the outpoint (Yellow Handle) to your desired in point. (Because outpoint displays total duration while you drag.)

2. Then drag the in point (Yellow Handle) to the new outpoint position. (Same in and out position)

3. Then drag the outpoint (Yellow Handle) to your desired outpoint or whatever duration your require.

As a professional video editor, this is the only logical way to achieve it, when you have a long (60 minute) source clip.

Not ideal. But I guess they want us to pay for Final Cut Pro X.

Jun 16, 2017 1:22 PM in response to Peter NZ

I just "upgraded" my Mac and got iMovie 10. It's worse than the previous version. I just imported a 4-minute clip and the entire thing is packed into a single frame....I can't see anything in it or edit anything in it because it just looks like a snapshot. So aside from the lack of precision in clip editing, can anyone tell me how to see some of the frames in my movie at all? This is really insane!

Mar 31, 2015 12:09 AM in response to Retty

iMovie 10 is unfortunately lacking any precise playhead time display. However, if you only want to save a segment of a video you can do this using Quicktime Player. I find Quicktime player 7 Pro best but it can also be done with the current Quicktime Player version (see for example QuickTime Player 10.x: Shorten a movie or a movie clip

Both display playhead time to the nearest second and the right and left shift keys advance/retard one frame per click.

Geoff.

Mar 31, 2015 12:11 AM in response to GeeD

Thanks GeeD

I won't comment on how offensive it is to end users for Apple to remove such basic functionality. It seems as if the days of a Mac providing useful functionality out of the box without extra and expensive software are on their way out. This isn't even an advanced feature - and it used to be present.

Mar 31, 2015 3:59 AM in response to Retty

I won't comment on how offensive it is to end users for Apple to remove such basic functionality. It seems as if the days of a Mac providing useful functionality out of the box without extra and expensive software are on their way out. This isn't even an advanced feature - and it used to be present.

This is one of the many reasons why so many people use iMovie HD 06. The display head time is always visible.

You can also use Final Cut Pro X.

Dec 15, 2015 11:14 PM in response to Ziatron

It's really unbelievable that the software designers of iMovie 10 would have left this very valuable feature out - esp. as the app is touted as being "FXPro-lite". Well, not really. I spent half an hour in frustration looking for a way to see where I was in a 30 min. clip. Totally absurd, at an Alice in Wonderland level really, that this very basic and very essential editor's need couldn't be a feature of a program that has other attractive and useful functions. What were they thinking? I haven't seen later versions, but I'm guessing some developer has been fired and replaced if time display is back. Oh no, I'm not about to spend $250 on FXP at the moment.

Yes, I too find I have to go to my earlier iMac with iMovie 6 to be able to have clip duration displayed at the playhead. But it's practically like going back to the 6th grade, with what that program's limitations are in the trade-off.

Bottom line: iMovie 10 is not worthy of Apple quality.

PS the titling capability is strictly amateur...but see YouTube for a few time-consuming workarounds.

Dec 16, 2015 12:02 PM in response to GeeD

Thanks, that should be helpful, though even this appears to only be for individual clip duration, not duration of combined clips over the program length as Timecode or even basic time display would allow. And that would seem to be a feature of even the most rudimentary NLE, so it's mystifying as to why they've eliminated it here to this extent. My guess is that Apple is following the trend to streamline and simplify, even at the expense of functionality - a sorry state of affairs. I thought the 'secret' was to at least have full manual control in a set of hidden controls...Likely, that exist$ in FCP-X.

Dec 17, 2015 4:18 PM in response to GeeD

Yes, it's there indeed, Geoff. Many thanks again. I think I'm going to like this iteration. With the L-R arrow keys one can go back and forth between the seconds to count frames.

BTW, any thoughts on open-source NLEs out there? I had a cursory glance at Lightworks, and will look for reviews of some of these.

Not sure where I can award Green Stars for your help, but you've certainly made my day, all the same.

Best holiday wishes!

How to display clip duration in iMovie 10?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.